Is Wiggo the first ever 'clean' T de F winner then?

raymondo60
raymondo60 Posts: 735
edited August 2012 in Pro race
The Lance Armstrong debate goes on (and on and on and on), but are we missing a more important, and positive point? With all the arguments about who doped, who didn't etc, there is one rider, a winner of the world's greatest cycling race, who has pro-actively declared his abhorrance of those taking performance enhancing drugs, who is so determined to ride clean that he (and his team) are willing to publsh his blood data and other info online. A man who will vehemently deny any wrongdoing and use quite a lot of rude words doing so. And he's British. Step forward Mr Bradley Wiggins. I may be doing a diservice to Cadel Evans here,but I don't think Cadel has made such a public and vociferous declaration against doping as Bradley has. And anyway he's Australian.

So, in the history of the Grand Boucle, is the first ever, definitively clean winner, actually a Brit?

Wouldn't that be something......
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Can open. Worms everywhere.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    The Tour has been going for 109 years. There will have been plenty of others. Bartali and LeMond are two names that immediately come to mind.

He's probably just the first clean winner since last year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Of recent winners there's not much reason to suspect Evans or Sastre.
  • Eyorerox
    Eyorerox Posts: 43
    This mostly US forum does not agree with you, of course its just the internet and no one actually knows anything. Such a shame now that when a sportsperson does well they are accused of doping.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/doping ... 84791.html
  • Eyorerox wrote:
    This mostly US forum does not agree with you, of course its just the internet and no one actually knows anything. Such a shame now that when a cyclist does well they are accused of doping.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/doping ... 84791.html

It's not sport in general, just cycling.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Sorry Raymondo it smacks as a bit of a Trolling thread.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    It's a known fact that all dodgy foreigners are cheats and the only honest sportsmen are British

That's why we won the war

:roll:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    Short answer: no.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    The Lance Armstrong debate goes on (and on and on and on), but are we missing a more important, and positive point? With all the arguments about who doped, who didn't etc, there is one rider, a winner of the world's greatest cycling race, who has pro-actively declared his abhorrance of those taking performance enhancing drugs, who is so determined to ride clean that he (and his team) are willing to publsh his blood data and other info online. A man who will vehemently deny any wrongdoing and use quite a lot of rude words doing so. And he's British. Step forward Mr Bradley Wiggins. I may be doing a diservice to Cadel Evans here,but I don't think Cadel has made such a public and vociferous declaration against doping as Bradley has. And anyway he's Australian.

So, in the history of the Grand Boucle, is the first ever, definitively clean winner, actually a Brit?

Wouldn't that be something......
    This is all very well, but remember that Lance probably would have also done this in the past, if he passed 500 tests then he obviously would have been able to publish clean data.

Ever since (and possibly before) the BALCO issues in the US it has become obvious that drug takers are a step ahead of the testers. Theoretically Wiggins could be taking some new substance that is not known to anyone else and theirfore has no test availiable.

I sincerely hope he is clean, but to assume that only an honest non cheat would offer his blood is a bit naive. The only person to offer his blood is someone who knows they wont test positive
  • ReesA
    ReesA Posts: 62
    If they are all clean and want the sport to be drug free you'd expect them to line up to celebrate what has been happening in the past few days. After all they probably all knew exactly what was going on better than anyone else. To my mind if the riders aren't going public then something is still very wrong. (The reason I make this comment here is that surely Wiggo should be saying something as the TDF winner and patron and as a guy with an anti drugs stance and as a member of a team with an apparently anti drugs stance)
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    maybe he will when he sobbers up :D:D:D
  • Just posted in another thread but Gustav Larsson's the first top pro to speak out - and not in support of Lance...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/larsson ... g-decision
  • raymondo60

YP, I genuinely and honestly don't know what constitutes a trolling' thread. I certainly would not wish to show any lack of etiquette or disrespect these forums in any way, as I derive great pleasure from chatting with you lot. If I have fallen foul in any way, I would apologise profusely and ask for guidance so I don't repeat any errors.

Thanks
    Raymondo

• esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    Just a thought... if a rider's team-mates were charged to the gills (but not said rider) and the help those team-mates gave to rider constituted a victory for aforementioned rider (ffs, this is confusing even for me!) do we consider it a 'clean' win? Not suggesting anything about SKY... but maybe in the past this has happened... like I say - just a hypothetical...
  • raymondo60
    The moral of the story is.....can we be sure of any of them? I'll blatantly stake my rep on Wiggo - no reason other than blind faith which I know sets me up as a dope (no pun intended)
    Raymondo

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    esafosfina wrote:
    Just a thought... if a rider's team-mates were charged to the gills (but not said rider) and the help those team-mates gave to rider constituted a victory for aforementioned rider (ffs, this is confusing even for me!) do we consider it a 'clean' win? Not suggesting anything about SKY... but maybe in the past this has happened... like I say - just a hypothetical...
    The clean rider would have to be better than his charged-up team-mates in order to beat them, as well as the opposition

In the Armstrong case, the conspiracy was about not just encouraging his team-mates to dope, but also supplying and actively dosing and transfusing them, so that he could win

Big difference to me in the amount of guilt between individually doping yourself, and supplying and doping other people too, in order to win
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    YP, I genuinely and honestly don't know what constitutes a trolling' thread. I certainly would not wish to show any lack of etiquette or disrespect these forums in any way, as I derive great pleasure from chatting with you lot. If I have fallen foul in any way, I would apologise profusely and ask for guidance so I don't repeat any errors.
    Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
    In fairness, anyone starting a thread about Armstrong or Contador could be accused of this.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    dougzz wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
    In fairness, anyone starting a thread about Armstrong or Contador could be accused of this.
    Not really as both have been banned for doping
  • Wait 10 years and we might be able to answer that question. In the meantime, fingers crossed...