Tyres tyres tyres.. I'm lost!

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Currently on some Giant PR2s which came on the bike... but this morning i noticed some nasty bulging on the rear.

So I'm in the market for some light-ish tyres with decent puncture protection.. tempted to go with the PR2s again since they've been faultless.. what else should I be looking at?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    CONTI GP4000S. Brilliant.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    +1 for Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD

Been riding them for the past 6 months. Great free running rubber and I've found them very robust. Done a couple of sportives in pretty bad weather and road conditions - lots of grit, cattle grids and the inevitable potholes.

Still going strong.

Pricey but worth the money IMHO
  • cougie wrote:

Just fitted these today and looking forward to testing them tomorrow.
    £55 delivered on eBay per pair
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    GP4000s. Awesome tyre. Great grip and excellent rolling resistance. Adds comfort from some of the cheaper tyres too.
  • Or you could try Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II tyres, stick some latex tubes inside and ride on a cloud.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    cougie wrote:

Under £50 delivered from bike discount - mine arrived after a few days.
  • DrLex wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Under £50 delivered from bike discount - mine arrived after a few days.

Damn it! :evil:

:mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • alihisgreat
    What about folding vs wire bead? I know there is a weight differencd .. but is there anything else to separate the two?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    What about folding vs wire bead? I know there is a weight differencd .. but is there anything else to separate the two?

Bruised fingers and liberal cursing as you try to fit most beaded tyres compared to their folding counterparts
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Or you could try Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II tyres, stick some latex tubes inside and ride on a cloud.

Best clincher out there, I've used 4000s and I can't fault them really, the only ones I've had an issue with were pro3 which cut to bits on both sets.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,610
    Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. These don't get much attention on here, but I've found them to be pretty damned good tyres overall. Good price here too!

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/vredestein-vredestein-tyres-road-tri-track-folding-vredestein-fortezza-tricomp-folding-tyre/vredtyrf250
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • gryfon23
    gryfon23 Posts: 64
    I agree :

"Or you could try Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II tyres, stick some latex tubes inside and ride on a cloud."

Best I've tried yet. I like the MIchelin ProRace, Ultremo's are ok, not a fan of Conti's. Always use latex tubes :o)

Have fun whatever you get.
  • alihisgreat
    Went for the Conti GP4000s -> will fit them and let you know what I think!
  • cougie wrote:

+1 - These tyres make a huge difference over any basic tyres!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    My Wilier came with ultremo R1s and so far they have been fine. They feel very grippy, almost glued to the road and its really noticeable when you get out of the saddle. However 800 miles in and no punctures so I have been quite happy. However today I went out on my old Peugeot for a bit of a recovery ride. I bought it in 1998 so as you would guess its not exactly modern. However it does have a set of Gatorskins on it and I have to say I felt today that they rolled better and quieter then the Schwalbes. It certainly got me thinking about swapping them onto my Wilier as I preferred the feel of them. I am guessing that the GP4000s are similar to Gatorskins but maybe a little less durable.

Let us know how you get on with your GP4000s Alihisgreat
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    I've got Ultremo's on my bike, they are great.....in summer, but once the roads turn crap get ready for the puncture fairy to visit. Especially if the roads are anything but glass smooth, they are however extremely fast rolling.

I have found that you get this slightly annoying road buzz / hiss when compared to the GP4seasons that I using thought the colder months.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg