US Pro challenge *Spoilers*

Art Vandelay
Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Great finish at today's stage - Tommy D just making it to the finish after a lone break.

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Was a great finish. Thought he had no chance once the descent finished.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yeah 140km out front is pretty heavyweight. The dirt road was pretty cool.

steephill.tv have great photos of this and other US races. They use Veloimages whose photos are well worth a look. Some of the scenery in these races is breathtaking.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Wasn’t really bothered about this race but watched the last 40k & it was very good.

Danielson did well to hang on but if there was a proper chase he should have been caught. BMC were having a go after the race about RadioShack having six riders in that front group but not taking their pulls
  • Art Vandelay
    Jens Voigt's turn for the long, lone attack today. 42km to go with 4 mins advantage - I don't think he's going to make it though, despite no one wanting to do the grunt work
  • Art Vandelay
    Host coverage is fairly poor - some funny comments on ES yesterday about this - isn't this the nation that gave us Hollywood and put and man on the moon.

Should be happy hunting for Jens today...
  • frenchfighter
    5.10, what a monster. Been out for about 3hrs. 40 yrs old...

bp32.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Host coverage is fairly poor - some funny comments on ES yesterday about this - isn't this the nation that gave us Hollywood and put and man on the moon.

Should be happy hunting for Jens today...

I like the tracker though.

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaprocycl ... lenge.com/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Leads gone up to 6mins
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    Did Tommy D get enough points to keep the KOM?
    Bunch has been split with ProTour teams leaving the domestics behind...but all together again
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    There's no way I can justify watching this over Barca - Real.
  • frenchfighter
    Ah not so sure where the KOM stood before hand.

Just seen Joe Dombrowski is 8th in GC. Young talent that lad - winner of BabyGiro this year ahead of Fabio Aru.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    And signed for Sky next year
  • frenchfighter
    Didn't know that.

Not sure how they can have so much difficulty showing the race...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    They just said that Tom D leads KOM by 4pts
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    This is shockingly bad coverage!
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah, I've had enough...will check results later.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    Well done Jens. Real shame about the coverage - decent crowds, nice scenery, OK parcours, shit coverage.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    As above, coverage was dire last night. Even Carlton Kirby stopped making excuses for it towards the end. Five mins of watching some munter in a green t-shirt sending txt messages. What a joke.

Well done Mr Voigt, awesome stuff!
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Well done Jens. Real shame about the coverage - decent crowds, nice scenery, OK parcours, shoot coverage.

They had the same issues last year with the coverage, they should have sorted that out.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Jens won a free lifetime ski pass as well, which is nice, although that's going to be sod all use to someone with as many kids as he has.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Five mins of watching some munter in a green t-shirt sending txt messages.

You mean Lindsey Vonn! :D
  • inkyfingers
    I haven't watched much, but this race seems odd. It's in a mountainous area and we've seen some quite aggressive racing (particularly from Garmin), and yet the top ten on GC are seperated by 17 seconds with a TT still to come. Leipheimer is lurking ready to win it in the TT, hopefully Vandevelde or Van Garderen will get rid of him at some point.

Nice to see Jens get a win, just a shame that the peloton didn't seem to be that bothered about catching him.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

Nice to see Jens get a win, just a shame that the peloton didn't seem to be that bothered about catching him.

Hmm...
  • inkyfingers

Hmm...

Whaddya Mean?

I have to confess I was so tired last night that I went to bed with about 20km to go, at which point the peloton was fanned out across the road and Voight's lead was increasing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Just curious.

Nothing dodgy or anything.

Wonder if it's a bit of a send off or something, though I heard he-resigned.
  • inkyfingers
    Just curious.

Nothing dodgy or anything.

Wonder if it's a bit of a send off or something, though I heard he-resigned.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. I just think that as he was no threat on GC they were just worrying about each other.
  • Not to try and take anything away from Voigt's win, but thought Danielson's the day before was far better. At least the bunch were trying to bring him back. As Inky says, they just didn't seem to want to bring Voigt back.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    It is a strange race. I do think it is bizarre that they've not sorted out the issues with live video. Its not like the race is taking place in a 3rd world country. If there are specific issues in certain spots, don't take the race there.

Part of the problem seems to be the lack of top level teams in the race, resulting in a lack of teams willing to drive on the front.

I wonder if Eurosport will bother to show it next year?
  • inkyfingers
    edited August 2012
    squired wrote:
    It is a strange race. I do think it is bizarre that they've not sorted out the issues with live video. Its not like the race is taking place in a 3rd world country. If there are specific issues in certain spots, don't take the race there.

Part of the problem seems to be the lack of top level teams in the race, resulting in a lack of teams willing to drive on the front.

I wonder if Eurosport will bother to show it next year?

As long as the organisers of the USPCC and the Tour of California insist on holding their races at the same time as Grand Tours they are always going to look chipperish in comparison. Especially if they can't even get the TV coverage to work.

However, it is a good opportunity for the American domestic teams to take on the top level European pros. If the race became part of the World Tour it would lose some of the "local" interest, which I think would be bad for the US cycling scene.