New chain slipping in all gears

poddy
poddy Posts: 52
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi-just fitted new Shimano HG53 chain to my 27 speed MTB, Deore XT gear. Also fitted near gear cable, adjusted on the stand and gear changes really smooth and accurate.

Anyway, taken it for a quick ride and chain is slipping. It's not a stiff link and it slips in all gears, tried all combos front and back and still slips under any kind of load.

So pretty sure it's not the cassette. I measured the chain to the old one so should be the correct length.

I did have to join the chain using a magic link as the pin supplied with the chain (the type you snap off the excess when fitted) snapped as soon as I put pressure on it. But have used these links a few times and they are usually great.

Any suggestions greatfully received! Only reason for changing last chain was it was stretched. I would normally say it was the cassette but I can't believe it would be worn in all gears?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Worn cassette and/or chainrings has got to be it, I reckon.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    bails87 wrote:
    Worn cassette and/or chainrings has got to be it, I reckon.
    This. You need a whole new drivetrain i'm afraid.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • poddy
    Wallet out again then! Cheers guys for confirming, might start with the cassette first.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you've still got the old chain then just put that back on until the whole lot dies.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    poddy wrote:
    Wallet out again then! Cheers guys for confirming, might start with the cassette first.
    Pointless - change them all at the same time.
    So, as has been said, stick the old chain back on for now until you've got all new bits.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    poddy wrote:
    Hi-just fitted new Shimano HG53 chain to my 27 speed MTB, Deore XT gear. Also fitted near gear cable, adjusted on the stand and gear changes really smooth and accurate.

Anyway, taken it for a quick ride and chain is slipping. It's not a stiff link and it slips in all gears, tried all combos front and back and still slips under any kind of load.

So pretty sure it's not the cassette. I measured the chain to the old one so should be the correct length.

I did have to join the chain using a magic link as the pin supplied with the chain (the type you snap off the excess when fitted) snapped as soon as I put pressure on it. But have used these links a few times and they are usually great.

Any suggestions greatfully received! Only reason for changing last chain was it was stretched. I would normally say it was the cassette but I can't believe it would be worn in all gears?
    watch the chain and see where it is actually jumping.

as mentioned cassette or chain rings and there is also the freebody.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cured my slipping chain by replacing the (very worn) jockey wheels
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • poddy
    Thanks all. It did take a full replacement of the cassette, chainrings and of course the new chain I'd already fitted. The chanrings were really old TBH and could see how much they had worn when compared to the new.

Thanks for advice all.