Servicing Wellgo MG1 pedals

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had a search on the forum but could not find anything too specific about servicing the above pedals. There is a nut which I have managed to remove using an allen key, under that there another bolt but I don't have a tool skinny enough to go through. So first if someone has managed to service them, what tool (type and size) have you used, ideally if you know of a video that shows on how to do it exactly, many thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked in the FAQs?

there is a guide to an easy way to grease them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeannot18
    nicklouse wrote:
    looked in the FAQs?

there is a guide to an easy way to grease them.

Saw that, but I think that the MG1 are slightly different as the "nuts" are not accessible directly from the side, you have to go through the side of the pedal (don't know if I am making myself clear). Hence the question, what tool do you use to reach the second nut, the socket I have got goes in, but the extension from the ratchet does not get through the hole of the pedal. Thanks
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • jeannot18
    Just for knowledge. You will need an allen key No.6 to remove the cap, then a skinny 9mm socket. Beware that for the right pedal, the second nut will need to go in a clockwise direction to undo. Just waiting now for some grease that I have ordered so that I can re-apply some inside the axis.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be aware not all the peadals have a reverse thread some do some do not ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeannot18
    nicklouse wrote:
    be aware not all the peadals have a reverse thread some do some do not ;)
    Thanks!
    JC
    Pédale ou crève