Resin pads no longer working

skiffy
skiffy Posts: 84
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a question. I have XT Ti M775 brakes with the resin pads that came with the bike. I'm still on the originals as the bike's had hardly any use over the last 18 months. The last time I took the bike out though (the first time in about 8 months!) I noticed a massive drop in braking power. I now have the stopping distance of an HGV and they squeal like mad.

I bought new pads figuring they were knackered but pulled them out last night and there's still loads left. So I sanded them a bit and put them back but I can still push the bike with full brake and lots of noise. Aside from the fact that I probably need a bleed and top up, what's up with them? how do I get them working and get them to shut up?!

Cheers.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Are they contaminated?

If you've got oil/grease on the pads it will also now be on the rotor.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    skiffy wrote:
    Got a question. I have XT Ti M775 brakes with the resin pads that came with the bike. I'm still on the originals as the bike's had hardly any use over the last 18 months. The last time I took the bike out though (the first time in about 8 months!) I noticed a massive drop in braking power. I now have the stopping distance of an HGV and they squeal like mad.

I bought new pads figuring they were knackered but pulled them out last night and there's still loads left. So I sanded them a bit and put them back but I can still push the bike with full brake and lots of noise. Aside from the fact that I probably need a bleed and top up, what's up with them? how do I get them working and get them to shut up?!

Cheers.
    why would they need a bleed?

where has it been kept?

what have you done near it?

how do you lube the bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you tried with new pads? After making sure the rotors are clean.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • skiffy
    nicklouse wrote:
    skiffy wrote:

Cheers.
    why would they need a bleed?

where has it been kept?

what have you done near it?

how do you lube the bike?

Brakes are a little bit spongy so figured a bleed wouldn't go amiss. Bike is kept in doors all the time (upright) and I have never knowingly spilt anything on the pads/rotors. They did go bad very quickly so maybe picked something up during a ride. I'm careful when lubing to not get any anywhere the brakes. If they were to be contimated how are they best decontaminated?
  • skiffy
    cooldad wrote:
    Have you tried with new pads? After making sure the rotors are clean.

Haven't tried the new pads as a) I didn't want to unwrap them if the current pads are good for another 100 miles and b) as you say I risk transfering whatevers on the rotors to the new ones!
  • cooldad
    Chuck the old pads away and clean the rotors with IPA.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • skiffy
    IPA?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Isopropyl alcohol.

If you've got a gas hob stick the old pads in the flame for 30s or so, may burn off any contaminants, I've done it before.
  • cooldad
    Or may screw them more. With replacements costing a fiver it's hardly worth the bother, particularly if you already have a new set waiting to go in.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • skiffy
    cooldad wrote:
    Or may screw them more. With replacements costing a fiver it's hardly worth the bother, particularly if you already have a new set waiting to go in.

Let me know where you get your pads!!

Yeah I'll swap them out after I've cleaned the rotors with a pint of Greene King. Wondering about taking the sintered pads back and swapping for resin as it sounds like they're prone to being a bit noisy?
  • My resin pads seem to have a little bit of noise on my xt brakes but they work savagely,
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    skiffy wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Let me know where you get your pads!!

Yeah I'll swap them out after I've cleaned the rotors with a pint of Greene King. Wondering about taking the sintered pads back and swapping for resin as it sounds like they're prone to being a bit noisy?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=29
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    skiffy wrote:
    I've cleaned the rotors with a pint of Greene King.
    What on hell's earth is "Greene King"?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Suffolk Ale, the well known brake cleaner.
  • cooldad
    Do you ever wonder if you should be somewhere else, doing something useful?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I see. Indian Pale Ale. IPA - he's being funny. And yes I do.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    skiffy wrote:
    I've cleaned the rotors with a pint of Greene King.
    What on hell's earth is "Greene King"?
    indian pale ale.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    What the hell is an "Indian pale ale" then? (quite apart from it being simultaneously the most obscure, yet least funny thing I've ever read here, which is no mean feat)
  • bennett_346
    What's with the sudden Ale allergy?

LMGTFY
  • cooldad

LMGTFY
    Take one incontinent gentleman from the subcontinent, follow him around for a while. Same difference.

ps serious LMGTFY fail.

Try this.You are an idiot

Or India Pale Ale
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:

LMGTFY
    Take one incontinent gentleman from the subcontinent, follow him around for a while. Same difference.

ps serious LMGTFY fail.

Try this.You are an idiot

Or India Pale Ale
    Errrr what? What i posted works fine for me, and what you posted just comes up with an advert for mobile LMGTFY.

Also, yes that second link sums it up nicely.
  • cooldad
    Yes but you are supposed to take the victim by suprise. Have you learnt nothing form Gazlar?
    Posting LMGTFY kind of gives the game away.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    You know most modern browsers do funnily enough show the actual link as you hover over hidden links, right?
  • cooldad
    Yup but there are sneaky ways around that if you can be bothered.
    I can't be bothered
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Still comes up in the bottom left of my screen as http://www.deagostini.com.au/ilovehorses/ if i hover over it ;)
  • cooldad
    My browser must be rubbish then.
    Still a cool song though, catchy.
    I strongly recommend anyone who hasn't already listened should do so.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I constantly have it on loop when I'm butchering my enemies.
  • bennett_346
    That reminded me of sweet apple massacre.
  • skiffy
    Jeeees....

To get back on topic, thanks for the Superstar link that's awsome. Definately a prefer a soft pad but Organic or Kevlar? how do they differ in use? Does the Kevlar need to get hot to work well? Are they as good as these?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    In a nutshell..

organic - good from cold, good power, don't last so long
    sintered - not so good from cold, not as much power, last ages
    kevlar - good from cold, good power, last longer than organic but not so long as sintered

although a lot of this also depends on how / where you ride.

Buy some, try em and if you don't like em, send em back in 45 days (i think) and get some different ones.