shock sag on a sc nomad

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
had a variety of full sussers over a number of years now so relatively competent when it comes to setting up my forks an shocks. normally i run things on the plusher side with my shocks at c 30% sag.

recently bought an sc nomad (awesome bike by the way) with a float rp23. slight puzzle i'm having is that to get the shock set up so the rear wheel feels like it's tracking well it's running with about 40-50% sag. now it's a light tune shock an ive got the pro pedal fully open the majority of the time, but it doesn't seem right it sitting that low in the stroke. I've not bottomed it out yet (i suspect down to the boost valve) and usually using the full travel only once or twice a ride which is about standard. is the vpp linkage known for sitting low in the stroke or should i be setting it up harder despite it 'feeling' and 'acting' right?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the VVP needs to have its sag set exactly. see the manual and set it as it says.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sofaboy73
    cheers for the quick reply nick. just had a quick squiz on the sc website and for fat nacker weight it appears i'm 10-15 psi short. why does the vpp in particular need to be so on the money with the sag / what are the detrimental effects to the vpp set up if not on the money?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look at some rear axle path diagrams. the dead point (my term not SC´s) is where you should be with the sag so the sus "works" correctly. might take a bit to get used to it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sofaboy73
    seems like a classic case of rtfm then! had a quick look at some vvp illustrations and seems to make sense. another 15 psi it is, taking it up helvelllyn this weekend so should be interesting to see the difference. thanks for the help ncik