Ultegra RD-6500 cage brushes against spokes in low

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited August 2012 in Workshop
I've set up the gears in my workstand but my Ultegra RD-6500 mech cage brushes lightly against the spokes in low when riding the bike, It did this before and after a cable change. Though its fine in the stand :?

I know I could wind the stop in further but this would cause the gear to be noisy as it the chain wouldnt mesh properly.

Could I remove the cassette and replace and fit a spacer before it? Then alter the stops and cable tension

The rear hub, mech and I think the cassette are all 6500.
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Use the adjuster screws to change the upper and lower limit of the rear derailleur, not the barell adjuster!

how to set them up
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • gtd.
    If I adjust the stop limiting the travel it wont mesh properly. it makes a noise like my old tourer with friction shifters when the chain isn't meshing properly.

The cage is only lightly brushing against the spokes making a light plink plink plink plink noise as the wheel goes round.

Aren't 1mm spacers available to move the cassette over, or could I just use one of the spacers out of an old sram or shimano mtb cassette. Then I could reset the stops for the cassettes new position on the freehub relative to the rear mech and adjust the cable tension to suit.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,862
    there should always be a 1mm spacer with a 6500 cassette and hub, if you haven't got one fitted then that's at least part of the problem
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gtd.
    That explains it then, The bike is a random assortment of Shimano Ultegra 6500 and 600 Tricolour, Campag Super Record, Record and Centaur CT and the front mech is an FSA one. so the spacer might have been missed when it was put together.

Spec sheet looks parts bin special but it looks ok and rides well apart from the plink plink noise when climbing.

I've had the cassette off as when I got it the full drivetrain was full of black greasy crud, so I stripped the cassette and cleaned it in paraffin and cleaned the mechs and chainrings too. There was no spacer fitted behind the cassette. The chain although not worn in length according to a chain checker seemed to be very loose sideways so I fitted a new chain.