Commencal Supreme 6.1 mini dh (new rear hub???????)

type17
type17 Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, Im new to the forum, I own a 2007 Supreme mini dh from new. Ive been away for a while without my bike so now that Im home, I need to fix it up again. The only mod to the drivetrain is an e13 chain device which is running perfect. The problem I am having is the commencal rear hub, it seems to be skipping at the same amount of revolutions of the wheel constantly, Im a heavy rider its always been used on downdhill and as I was told they are pretty terrible I want to replace it. The hub is commencal and the rim is a Sun rim sl1. The wheel is currently quick release but I have no problem changing to bolt through.

I dont really want to spend the earth but was looking at either a shimano saint or Hope pro 2 hub. My problem is I dont have a clue where to start. I know there are widths of hubs, I think this one is 135mm? I assume this is dictated by the width of the swingarm flanges but even then if measured from the wrong point.... I also see that some hubs are of different shapes with flanges which protrue alot from the main body of the hub and some which are pretty low profile. Anyways Im juts wanting someone to point me in the right direction as to which hub will fit, what size the hub has to be etc. I had also been looking at complete wheels on ebay like:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en

but I am unsure of how to figure out if it will fit or not. I know im clueless on this so im expcecting smart answers but Ive given all the info my little head can muster. Below is a pic of the hub, any help appreciated guys and gals, thanks.

WP_000330.jpg

WP_000331.jpg

Comments

• spuddle
    spuddle Posts: 61
    How do you mean skipping? like you pedal and the freehub doesnt engage in the hub and it just spins a quarter / half pedal then engages? if so, just remove and regrease, and replace the prawls / springs if needed
  • type17
    type17 Posts: 4
    Hi, thanks for the reply. When pedalling, if I put any amount of force the pedals will basically move around 90 degrees during the revolution as if there is no resistence at all, coupled with a loud-ish mechanical noise and my foot almost falling off the pedals due to the difference in resistance :lol: so yup basically what you said. Il have a look at that, have no clue about the hubs so will thread carefully, thanks again for the advice,
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sounds to me like your drivetrain is worn, rather than there being a problem with the hub. See if you can have a pedal and watch where it's coming from. My guess is that the chain is either slipping on the chainring or the cassette. Does it do it in some gears more than others? This could mean that the chain is worn, the cassette is worn, or the chainring is worn (likely all three if the chain is worn). You'll need to replace all three really if this is the case. I'd be surprising if this problem is coming from the hub. Though a strip down and service on the freehub probably wouldn't go amiss anyway.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • spuddle
    spuddle Posts: 61
    I very much doubt its the chain ring, because he said there is no resistance at all, and would be rather odd if just a quarter of the ring was worn down to nothing!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I dunno, that's what it sounds like to me, or maybe the pawls in the hub are knackered, that's fairly unlikely though...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5