Where to go for service

nickbrown_500
nickbrown_500 Posts: 41
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I have kept my bike pretty much well maintained.
Its now getting on abit so thought it may be best to take it for a decent service someone at a bike shop.

Only problem is I live in the Lincoln & Newark area,

has anyone got any good dealings with a bike shop around that area,

Even over Nottingham way would be ok.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A bike shop will do nothing you can't do yourself.
    What if anything actually needs doing?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also a service means mostly checking things. A service does not mean changing cables, stripping hubs down e.t.c. Those are always extra's and done if they need doing. It not like a car where fluids and filter need changing at set intervals as the conditions a bike get riden in vary so much.

Bike need things done when stuff is wearing out. Nothing is hidden unlike in a car so it is there for you to see and check. Most shops will charge for checking the bike over and give it you back and maybe nothing much will need doing. It does not take long to check a bike over and see if bolt e.t.c are secure. As cyclist you should be checking the bike over before you ride it anyway.

Which is why when folk bring a bike in and ask how much a service is my answer is it depends on how much work I have to do it as I price by the jobs that need doing. Sometimes it is evident nothing is wrong and I hand it back with no charge saying use it more so you wear something out then I can bill you.

In short take a bike in if there is a problem. Do the checks yourself and be an informed cyclist.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Also a service means mostly checking things. A service does not mean changing cables, stripping hubs down e.t.c.
    that really depends where you go and what kind of service you want, not every one is mechanically minded http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... vicing.htm
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011