i just cant index my gears

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
no mater what i do i just cant get it rite i had a look on you tube how to do it and it looks easy i no there is things to take in to account like wear and cable stretch but its just not happening for me has any one got a way thats easy (mong)
cheers

oh its a 3x9 slx full set up
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, on park tools website
  • andyrp
    andyrp Posts: 1
    Assuming the gears worked together previously (i.e you havent just changed one of the components) then one cause of this type of problem is the cable sticking in the outer casing. This is often overlooked. The gears index in one direction when the cable is under tension but not in the other direction when the spring in the derailleur is moving the chain over the cassette.

Andy
  • sigorman85
    It's all fine it's just the screw Adjusting bit I can't ger
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just keep in mind the limit screws do nothing for indexing. On a normal mech the mech rests on the lower limit, and is stopped by the upper limit screw from allowing the chain to go over the top of the big cog.
  • sigorman85
    oh dear now imlost lol

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what were you trying to fix?

and what have you now tried to adjust?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sigorman85
    Trying to set it up so I can use all my gears at the moment I can use the small ring on the front and the middle one but it won't move up to the big ring and on the rear its fine till it gets to 7 then jumps to 9 and same on the way back up

• sigorman85
    I have played with the adjusting screws front and rear and twisted the tennison screws on the shifters

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    First thing is first. If you want to do it from scratch, you need to unclamp/remove the gear cable and maybe get a new one. New inner and outer for smooth shifting would be a good idea. Removing the chain is also a good idea to make sure the index screws are set properly.

Shift the shifter into the highest gear (smallest cog). Use the high index screw on the mech to make sure the jockey wheel on the mech is sitting right under the smallest cog. Push the mech by hand up to the biggest cog, and use the low index screw to make sure the jockey wheel is sitting right under the biggest cog, or maybe a little further over towards the spokes (only about 1mm), just for good measure.

THEN install the chain, pedal the bike so that the chain and mech are sitting on the smallest cog (highest gear). THEN install the cable, making sure the cable is tight, but not so tight that you're pulling it up another gear, and also making sure that the barrel adjuster on the shifter is wound out a couple of turns before you clamp the cable in the mech.

Spin the cranks and shift up and down the gears to see how they work. You may need to adjust the cable tension using the barrel adjuster on the shifter. Wind it out to increase the tension, wind it in to decrease. If the mech is not shifting up properly in some gears, this means you need a bit more cable tension. If it isn't shifting down properly in some gears, this means you need a little less cable tension. Sometimes the cables stretch after a bit of use, this means you just need to increase the cable tension a touch. Only ever increase or decrease the tension by small amounts (half a turn at a time). A little goes a long way.

If you follow those instructions to the word, you can't go wrong. Once you've done it a couple of times, it really is second nature.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • sigorman85
    Thank you very much

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If the mech is not shifting up properly in some gears, this means you need a bit more cable tension. If it isn't shifting down properly in some gears, this means you need a little less cable tension.
    Sorry I got this bit mixed up. If it's not shifting DOWN properly, you need more cable tension (as the mech requires the cable pulling through to shift down to the easier gears). If it's not shifting UP properly, you need less cable tension (the mech pulls up through to the higher gears using the spring in the cage, the down shift just releases enough cable to let the spring pull the mech up/out a bit more). I know it sounds confusing, but once you've gotten your head around how the mech and shifter work (it really is very simple once you realise), it'll just click in your head.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Once the limit screws are set they should never need adjusted. I've seen so many spokes ruined by people "setting" their gears!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3