Specialized Tarmac 2012, good value for money?

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Carbon frame and Tiagra components for £1400

Is this good value for money or not? Not been able to purchase a CAAD10, the bike I initially wanted. If I do purchase one it'll have to be in September (if they're still in stock by then).

Other option is a Trek Madone 3.1
Is the 3.5 a better upgrade or will the 3.1 suffice? What are sizing like compared to Specialized, or Cannondale? For example, a cube 58 will come up smaller than usual, whereas a BMC 57cm will come up larger than say most other 57/58cm framed bikes.

Want something responsive, ideally carbon, and something that won't let me down. Budget £1000 - £1500

Gracias!

p.s.. Specialized Tarmac Elite for £1700 (equipped with 105 components)

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Buy secondhand - friend has just bought a 2011 Spesh Tarmac Elite with 105 5700 groupset for £675. Virtually unused. Bargain :D
  • nochekmate
    edited August 2012
    Buy secondhand!

Friend has just bought a 2011 Spesh Tarmac Elite with Shimano 105 5700 for £675. Bargain!

Sorry double post from phone!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Second hand has no warranty. Its lifetime on the tarmac for first user only! The new 2013 tarmac is great too. £1200, new sora, carbon seatpost.
  • Gabbo wrote:

Is this good value for money or not? Not been able to purchase a CAAD10, the bike I initially wanted. If I do purchase one it'll have to be in September (if they're still in stock by then).

Is the 3.5 a better upgrade or will the 3.1 suffice? What are sizing like compared to Specialized, or Cannondale? For example, a cube 58 will come up smaller than usual, whereas a BMC 57cm will come up larger than say most other 57/58cm framed bikes.

Want something responsive, ideally carbon, and something that won't let me down. Budget £1000 - £1500

Gracias!

I'd hold out for the Trek 3.5 over the Tarmac any day.
  • I'm getting .2012 Obera onix 105 for £1300 from LSB. It's full carbon n has mavic Auskim wheels. It's my first ever road bike so really looking forward to it. :)
    Oh it comes with lifetime frame warranty.
  • nochekmate
    mattv wrote:
    Second hand has no warranty. Its lifetime on the tarmac for first user only! The new 2013 tarmac is great too. £1200, new sora, carbon seatpost.

Oh only £1200 for full Sora - let me join the queue please. Personally I am happy to take the discount of secondhand against warranty but appreciate that's not for everybody. Seriously £1200 for Sora spec - you want your bumps feeling!
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I bought a roubaix pro with duraace group virtually unused for £2000 on ebay- new price £4000. Specialized have a massive marketing spend and team sponsorship budget. Guess who pays for all of this? The shitwits who spend £1200 on a Sora equipped Tarmac. And those who spend £6000 on an s-works when you could buy the frame for £2000 andbuild one with identical spec for less than £4000
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    nochekmate wrote:
    mattv wrote:

Oh only £1200 for full Sora - let me join the queue please. Personally I am happy to take the discount of secondhand against warranty but appreciate that's not for everybody. Seriously £1200 for Sora spec - you want your bumps feeling!

+1 especially when you read the threads on here about folk having warranty issues. It seems some manufacturers see fit to void the warranty if you ride the thing :evil:

second hand is the way to go for me if I have the cash available and not using c2w or finance. You get a better bike for less money and even if parts do need replacing it rarely comes to more than the cost of a new model.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I recently spend 3k on a Roubaix with Ultegra. I don't regard that as good value as the first thing I did was sell the heavy wheels it came with and put my own on. But it WAS the bike I wanted and it rides like a dream, I'm well pleased.

Looked at second hand (most of my other bikes were) but size 52 frames appears non-existent on the used market and when spending that much the frame warranty was nice to have on a carbon bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • carrock
    to be fair, the roubaix/tarmac expert ARE fair vaue, as you basically get last season's s-works frame, with an ultegra group instead of dura/ace/ultegra mix, at a grand less than the pro, and 3 grand less than the s-works
  • Gabbo wrote:

Gracias!

I'd hold out for the Trek 3.5 over the Tarmac any day.

If you feel reviews are worth paying attention to -

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... 5-12-45692

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-12-45938
  • carrock
    dont think there's much in it

trek slightly cheaper, tarmac slightly lighter, similar groupset.
  • carrock wrote:

Well yes I suppose 105 is similar to Ultegra but I'd take the Ultegra especially at £200 cheaper? As for the weight difference - 100 grammes?
  • carrock
    carrock wrote:

Well yes I suppose 105 is similar to Ultegra but I'd take the Ultegra especially at £200 cheaper? As for the weight difference - 100 grammes?

Ah yes I thought the trek was 105 but it is 105 shifters and front mech

In that case definitely the better buy- but makes it all the more surprising that is is heavier with a lighter groupset- particulalry as Specialized aren't known for light bikes at this level
  • LazyLoki
    LazyLoki Posts: 127
    Tiagra on a £1400 bike (and Sora(!) on a £1200 bike)... Not been paying attention, have things really changed so much in the last couple of years?!
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Wilier Izoard XP 2013, campag veloce and fulcrum r7 wheels for £1499, dealer will give you 10% discount easily so £1350, hard to beat IMO

Ps I've heard the 2013 specialized is cheaper for higher spec. I'm expecting better value all round for 2013, reason being that sterling has strengthened recently hence making imports a bit cheaper.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    £1400 for a Sora equipt bike ..........sod that and it's a Specialized.
    Give it a few more weeks, they'll be massive discounts on 2012 bikes anf you'll pick something head and shoulders above that.
    Or, i'd go secondhand, like folk have said there are some cracking bargains out there.
  • carrock
    as someone has said, though, the same frame is on a £2000 bike- so might be a way of getting one then upgrading the groupset when it wears out

I'd buy a 105 clad Boardman/Ribble/ for that money though- or even ultegra
  • Gabbo
    Anyone know any decent sites for for second hand bikes? And yes, £1400 for a Tiagra equipped bike is unbelievable.
  • carrock
    Tarmac Pro on ebay with Dura-ace/Ultegra kit- £1600 with a couple of hours to go. Not an sworks though despite listing??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-T ... 888wt_1344
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Anyone know any decent sites for for second hand bikes?

Ebay and Gumtree. Watch out for stolen ones, the vendor should know what they're selling and try to get a landline number.

Used bikes have got up in value a lot this summer as demand has gone up greatly. If you can get a bike on the cycle to work scheme it's worth a try.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Gabbo
    unixnerd wrote:
    If you can get a bike on the cycle to work scheme it's worth a try.

I'm slightly sceptical about this C2W scheme. How exactly does it work? I read somewhere that your business technically owns the bike, and may give you the opportunity to purchase it from them. Just what I read somewhere..