beginning og a new chain

black.converse
black.converse Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hey, im currently runnig a three speed xt chainset and im going to be putting on a q ring instead whilist using the xt crankarm. simply just keeping the one chain ring and running a 1X9 stetup- iv just brought a kmc x9sl gold chain and i simply cant wait to put it onto my bike but, if i put it on now will it need to be adjusted again when i have installed the q ring?? thanks
It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong

Comments

• basically asking- when shall or can i put it on? before or after i chane the three chain rings to a 1 chainring

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sizing will depend on the largest ring size, but I doubt 1x9 you'll be running a 42, so when you go single you'll need to shorten the chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yeah the q ring runs a 37, ok im guessing ill shorten it after the installation