Juicy pad replacement - need bleeding?

arcing
arcing Posts: 57
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
After a particularly sandy and soaking wet weekend last week I've bought new pads front and back. The old ones literally had nothing left on them, it was like riding with 60grit sandpaper on the pads.
I've gone through the process of loosening off the calliper, pushing the pots back and fitting the new pads.

I got some leakage of brake fluid when I pushed the pads back, and the brakes are total sponge now, they barely bite at all. Do they just need a bleed, or are the seals gone?

Ta

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    When I've pushed them back I've never noticed any leakage so it doesn't sound good. How old are they? My seals were still keeping the fluid in after 3 years (replaced due to sticky pistons).

Does any fluid come out when you pull the lever? If there's no leak, when you bleed them you can put a bit extra fluid in if necessary. Watch you don't get any fluid on the pads!
  • arcing
    They're about three and half years now I think. There's so little bite at the moment I don't think there would be enough pressure on the piston to force any more fluid out.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Seems a seal has gone then.
  • arcing
    Took it to the LBS today, because I can't pick up reasonably priced bleed kit in time for my next ride, and..... they refused to look at it. Told them about the loss of fluid and he said Elixir are crap brakes, and they can't guarantee any work on them. I need new brakes apparently.... Bit surprised to be honest.

Going to ignore them and try bleeding them myself.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If a seal has gone, bleeding will do nothing.
    Sounds like a rubbish shop by the way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    arcing wrote:
    Took it to the LBS today, because I can't pick up reasonably priced bleed kit in time for my next ride, and..... they refused to look at it. Told them about the loss of fluid and he said Elixir are crap brakes, and they can't guarantee any work on them. I need new brakes apparently.... Bit surprised to be honest.

Going to ignore them and try bleeding them myself.
    Nope, avids are shite, shouldn't come as a surprise, they appear to be the most troublesome brakes ever. And as CD said, bleeding won't do anything if you've got a damaged seal.
    Well, not anything useful anyway.
  • arcing
    What I didnt mention is that the leakage was from the juicy calipers, not the avid levers. I guess the seals could have gone in the calipers but I can source those locally if I need them.
  • arcing
    @cooldad they're a well known shop in these parts too. Not the first time I've had that sort of helpful advice, so I'll travel a couple of miles further to the next nearest in the future. I feel like I'm going to the headmasters office every time I go in there.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    arcing wrote:
    What I didnt mention is that the leakage was from the juicy calipers, not the avid levers.
    what the hell are you on about? Juicys are a kind of brake made BY Avid.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Nope, avids are shite, shouldn't come as a surprise, they appear to be the most troublesome brakes ever.

I must be lucky, my Juicy 3SLs are coming up four years old and have been totally trouble free. Never needed a bleed or fettling.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Nope, avids are shite, shouldn't come as a surprise, they appear to be the most troublesome brakes ever.

I must be lucky, my Juicy 3SLs are coming up four years old and have been totally trouble free. Never needed a bleed or fettling.
    Lucky, yes. Because a few reliable units in a sea of failures doesn't make them worthwhile brakes.
    Besides, I refuse to take anyone's word when they say "my brakes work fine", because I've ridden so many bikes with allegedly well set up brakes, only to find that my definition of "good" and their definition of "good" differ substantially.
  • arcing
    Calm down..meant Elixir levers
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Calm down? Who's that meant to be aimed at? Nobody here seems anything other than calm.
  • I've had a few different models of avids and had problems with them all at some point or another, I've been with hopes now for a long time and had no problems what so ever,
  • arcing
    Well that was worth the effort. A good bleed both ends and they're all good again. New pads in and they're as good as new.

Great universal kit from epic bleed solutions worked a treat...