Indexing problem "aahhhhhhh"

simey83
simey83 Posts: 113
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
OK guys,

I lost the plot with this bike :)

I have aligned the top jockey wheel with both the high and low gears using the screws. once i reconnect the cable (how tight should this be?) and shift up 1, i turn the barrel adjuster to fine tune it and make it a clean change. the first 4 or so gear change fine but when i get to the high gears it starts to rub/catch and the 8th gear is trying to jump up on to the 9th rotor, i then turn the barrel adjuster to rectify this which in turn messes up the low gears again. i have been driving my self up the wall.

Am i doing something completely stupid? (hopefully) is there an easy fix or should i just admit defeat and leave it into a shop?

here are some photos of things.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116698053920337033205/Bike?authkey=Gv1sRgCNaCkI_G_4Gzag

Thanks so much guys for any insight.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the hanger is part of the frame.

you do not need to align the top jockey wheel in two places just one.

try reading the how to on parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Have you checked that the gear cable into your rear derailleur is clamped in the correct way?
    when I installed a new rear derailleur and cassette I made this mistake and spent 2 days basically doing what you describe and not being able to sort it.. as soon as i'd fixed the position of the cable, i'd installed it wrong side of the clamp bolt (check the manual for your derailleur), it all worked as it was supposed to.
  • Without wishing to appear at all rude, you might start by giving the chain and cassettes a decent clean. :oops: :evil:

Then go back to basics. Disconnect the cable and follow the setup instructions for the rear mech. Make sure it's installed and properly positioned. Shimano Tech docs (looks like you have Shimano kit?) give very detailed instructions on all this and it's pretty straightforward. You should also double check your chain length and rear hanger - make sure the latter isn't bent.

You also need to pay attention to the cable (inner and outer) and make sure the shifter is in the right position for setting the cable tension. Again the Shimano tech docs explain this very simply and in detail. Only once all this is correct do you worry about micr adjusting to get the shifting 'noiseless' and crisp. Hope this helps.