UST with with UST tyre

RyanMK43
RyanMK43 Posts: 113
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
sorry, i know this must have been asked over 1000 times, but i am after just a simple yes or no please. im looking to buy a set of shimano xt m785 wheels and if i buy a UST tyre will i need sealant or not? thanks

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    No, but it's recommended. If you get a puncture in the tyre, sealant will fix it for you on the spot.
    Otherwise, er... good luck inflating a tubeless tyre trailside.
  • RyanMK43
    yea i heard it can be a bit of pain in the ars3, is the only way with a co2 pump?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I have absolutely no idea. I've only ever managed to inflate tubeless tyres with an electric powered compressor - but those were converted rims, and assorted tyres.
    Probably best carry a tube in case you puncture.
  • RyanMK43
    ok well cheers fella for the quick reply. i think carrying a tube or 2 in my pack wouldn't hurt just incase.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    I got a pair of Continental Mtn King USTs to inflate on an XT tubeless wheel with a track pump really easily. Didn't even break a sweat. I would still use sealant though.
  • RyanMK43
    so what sealant are you guys running in your tyres
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I used to use Stan's sealant. Which worked ok, generally.
    The idea is that it fixes any holes as soon as they appear.
  • as already mentioned, ust rim and tyre doesn't require sealant, but it is recommended. and even with sealant i still cary a tube incase i rip a sidewall or something.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I carry tubes as well, just in case. But I carry them inside my tyres, it's just easier.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I carry tubes as well, just in case. But I carry them inside my tyres, it's just easier.
    POTD.