Freehub change question

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so this is fairly embarrassing as I asked a question yesterday about changing a 7 speed freewheel to an 8 (the question was successfully answered). However, I removed the cassette tonight only to find that it is a freehub.

The question is this:

I'm doing a build and have an 8 speed cassette and shifters but my wheel is from an old mtb and has a 7 speed freehub. The hub is Shimano FH-HG50. Can i simply buy an 8 speed freehub and replace the old one, or do i have to buy a new hub and rebuild the wheel?
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ricktabor1 wrote:
    Ok so this is fairly embarrassing as I asked a question yesterday about changing a 7 speed freewheel to an 8 (the question was successfully answered). However, I removed the cassette tonight only to find that it is a freehub.

The question is this:

I'm doing a build and have an 8 speed cassette and shifters but my wheel is from an old mtb and has a 7 speed freehub. The hub is Shimano FH-HG50. Can i simply buy an 8 speed freehub and replace the old one, or do i have to buy a new hub and rebuild the wheel?
    please read park tools or sheldon brown pages as you are contradicting your self.

do you have a cassette or do you have a freewheel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ricktabor1
    I may have worded the first part badly. I have a cassette. I have taken the 7 speed cassette off and want to put an 8 speed cassette on.

Can i replace the freehub body with an 8 speed one?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ricktabor1
    This is quite frustrating. I know the difference between a freewheel and a freehub.

Having removed the 7 speed cassette, can I remove the freehub body and put a different body on (like the one below)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-freeh ... 53ee374aa5

The spacing on the wheel is 135mm and is going back onto the original 135mm mtb frame.
  • nicklouse
    have you removed the spacer?

or lets put this a different way. what did the hub come off?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ricktabor1
    The hub is still on the wheel that it was originally on, and the wheel (with hub) is going back on the original bike.

I can't fit the 8 speed cassette on to the freehub body that the 7 speed cassette came off. I haven't yet removed the spacer - i was just wondering if it would work ok with a different body before i went ahead and bought one.
  • nicklouse
    ricktabor1 wrote:
    The hub is still on the wheel that it was originally on, and the wheel (with hub) is going back on the original bike.

I can't fit the 8 speed cassette on to the freehub body that the 7 speed cassette came off. I haven't yet removed the spacer - i was just wondering if it would work ok with a different body before i went ahead and bought one.

so 7spd cassette with a 4.5mm spacer? it is a 8/9spd hub and body.
  • ricktabor1
    Ok.
    Sorry, there is no spacer. It seems to me that the body is only wide enough for a 7 speed cassette. There is space at the back of the freehub body that the cassette doesn't go on to though.
  • nicklouse
    so 7spd no spacer but the OLD is 135mm.

odd

again what bike have the wheel come from?
  • ricktabor1
    The bike is a 1991 Kona Fire Mountain.

I'll take a photo tomorrow and show you. It might be me being totally stupid..... it has been known..... a lot.

Thanks for your help though Nicklouse, i do appreciate your patience.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ricktabor1 wrote:
    Ok.
    Sorry, there is no spacer. It seems to me that the body is only wide enough for a 7 speed cassette. There is space at the back of the freehub body that the cassette doesn't go on to though.
    Have you maybe got some of the small cogs out of line so they are not fitting over the splines, making it feel like it's not going all the way on?
    Not sure if that makes sense even to me but it's late.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    and also check the hub OLD is it really 135mm and not 130mm.

measure the hub not the frame.

in a word anything is possible depending what you want to bend or spend.
  • ricktabor1
    Will do.

I'll get a picture done and measure the OLD