New Bike dilema..

SweatyPanties
SweatyPanties Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Just wondering if I could have some feedback regarding the bikes I think I've narrowed my search down to. I'm not really too sure what to look for but I think I've got a reasonable shortlist. I still have to go try them all but from spec/review/experience what's your thoughts on them?

Vitus Bikes Decium Road Bike 2012 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67805
BeOne Mistral Sport Road Bike 2012 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75440
Boardman Road Team 2011/12 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_789209_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#tab2
Giant Defy 2 2012http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.2/9317/49822/

Thank.

Comments

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited August 2012
    my money would be on the Boardman, despite what you might hear, some Halfords are pretty good and the bike is a great spec esp. with £70 off.

Oh and join British Cycling for another 10% off Halfords prices. They accept double discounts.
  • I will say Boardman, i havent personally ridden it but it got some good reviews. And you can get another 10% off the price if you join British cycling here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/.
  • Hasilpuri wrote:
    I will say Boardman, i havent personally ridden it but it got some good reviews. And you can get another 10% off the price if you join British cycling here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/.

snap! :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Chances are you won't find anywhere to try the BeOne. FWIW I loved the aluminium frame on my BeOne Storm (miles more fun than the Planet X Nanolight that succeeded it), but the wheels and tyres left something to be desired.

I remain unconvinced by the case for press fit BBs, so I'd probably steer clear of the Boardman. That said, the Vitus and the Giant both have FSA BBs, which don't exactly have a great rep for durability.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • my money would be on the Boardman, despite what you might hear, some Halfords are pretty good and the bike is a great spec esp. with £70 off.

Oh and join British Cycling for another 10% off Halfords prices. They accept double discounts.
    Do they accept triple? I hear NUS card gets a further 10% off! which is swaying me towards it...

But as DesWeller says the BB30 problem seems a bit worrying , but I was under the impression that they were a faulty patch and it has been solved?
    DesWeller wrote:
    Chances are you won't find anywhere to try the BeOne. FWIW I loved the aluminium frame on my BeOne Storm (miles more fun than the Planet X Nanolight that succeeded it), but the wheels and tyres left something to be desired.

I remain unconvinced by the case for press fit BBs, so I'd probably steer clear of the Boardman. That said, the Vitus and the Giant both have FSA BBs, which don't exactly have a great rep for durability.
    I live pretty close to a CRC store so I can ask if they'll let me have a trial run. It's good to hear that about the BeOne, becuase there doesn't seem to be much said about them online.

Yeah, when I was looking up about the press fit BBs I think I read that Cannondale and FSA created them so I'm abit worried about getting an FSA BB bike..
  • my money would be on the Boardman, despite what you might hear, some Halfords are pretty good and the bike is a great spec esp. with £70 off.

Do they accept triple? I hear NUS card gets a further 10% off! which is swaying me towards it...

But as DesWeller says the BB30 problem seems a bit worrying , but I was under the impression that they were a faulty patch and it has been solved?
    DesWeller wrote:

I live pretty close to a CRC store so I can ask if they'll let me have a trial run. It's good to hear that about the BeOne, becuase there doesn't seem to be much said about them online.

Yeah, when I was looking up about the press fit BBs I think I read that Cannondale and FSA created them so I'm abit worried about getting an FSA BB bike..

Well I have personal experience of the BB30, I have them on two of my bikes (Cannondale Six and Boardman CX) - no problems so far with around 3500 dry miles on the Six and 1200 miles on the CX through every conceivable crap you could throw at a bike and both are smooth as peanut butter (the smooth version not the crunchy obviously)
    Not starship mileage but the Six is coming up for two years old, the CX only about 3 months old. There was an issue with CX BB30's which was down to poor QC on assembly. This issue has been dead for at least the last 6 months. Halfords re greased mine before I picked the bike up and so far so good.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The difficulties I have with BB30 are not major ones but they're enough for me to want to steer clear for the time being:

1. It's very obviously a manufacturing cost-reduction that's being marketed as a performance improvement
    2. You now need a bearing puller to remove the BB
    3. There's quite a lot of scope in the Cannondale drawing for the standard for an inexperienced designer to get it wrong. The stories that we've all read about a few manufacturers' problems seem to bear this out.

Having said that, the design does seem to address some of the weather vulnerability problems that plagued external cup BBs, and it's also positive that they use industry standard bearings rather than the specials that were found in HTII.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    The difficulties I have with BB30 are not major ones but they're enough for me to want to steer clear for the time being:

1. It's very obviously a manufacturing cost-reduction that's being marketed as a performance improvement
    2. You now need a bearing puller to remove the BB
    3. There's quite a lot of scope in the Cannondale drawing for the standard for an inexperienced designer to get it wrong. The stories that we've all read about a few manufacturers' problems seem to bear this out.

Having said that, the design does seem to address some of the weather vulnerability problems that plagued external cup BBs, and it's also positive that they use industry standard bearings rather than the specials that were found in HTII.

Very balanced view, despite an engineering background lost in the mists of time, my main interest is how it works for me, and on that basis the answer is 'OK so far'. I didn't buy either bike based on the fact it had a BB30 or the supposed benefits it gave. I'm not sure I'd notice the 'lack of flex' in the BB area anyway - although on reflection I did use to get a bit of that on my last commuter (a sirrus) but it never spoiled my day, in fact it was quite entertaining.
    I haven't had to replace them and given you need special tools to do it would probably opt for a lbs trip to resolve anyway unless it became habit forming in which I'd probably have a go myself. I'm pretty confident I'd be able to get the bearings out without serious structural damage but would be more concerned about getting the new ones in? (in line etc)