Upgrade to 36 forks???

alanwmorton
alanwmorton Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, I wonder if anyone wants to give me some advise. I ride a monraker foxy r which has fox float 32 forks with 140mm of travel. I weigh just under 15 st and ride pretty aggressive gravity based routes so I can feel a fair bit of flex from the forks. I was thinking of upgrading to fox 36 160mm forks to help stiffen up the front end, but I am unsure how much effect the extra 20mm would have on the bikes geomatry as the rear would have 140mm while the front was on 160mm.
Any advise would be very welcome.

Cheers
Alan. :D

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Well you could always upgrade to some Fox 36 forks and lower them to 140mm
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    styxd wrote:
    Well you could always upgrade to some Fox 36 forks and lower them to 140mm

This ^
  • I could get the talas 36 forks but they have to be set at 120mm or 160mm, I don't think you can choose your own setting.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You can add spacers internally to reduce them down to (I think) as low as 120mm. Maybe more.
    Fox 36s are very very stiff forks.
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    Lyric coil u-turn ?
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • Yeh, I could look at rockshox's, just don't know as much about them as Fox.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    You can only change the travel on Floats by means of internal spacers, they're available from Mojo in 10, 20, 25 and 30mm so you could run your 160s at 150, 140, 135, 130, 120, 100 etc etc, however it's not something you can do on the fly.

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/For ... acers.html

I could get the talas 36 forks but they have to be set at 120mm or 160mm, I don't think you can choose your own setting.

Correct!

Talas are pre-set, so your limited to what your given, 160, 130 and 110 or 160 and 120mm (depending on year) but you can change travel on the fly.
  • If I did run 160mm at the front what affect do you think it would have on the bike? (with the rear being 140mm)

Thanks for all the answers by the way!!
  • Jamie G
    Jamie G Posts: 166
    I run 160mm Talas forks on my Yeti 575 and haven't had an noticeable problem with them. I specifically got Talas so i could wind them down a notch on the climbs, but i haven't even found myself doing that too often. They did perhaps make it feel a tad twitchy at first, but its something i quickly got used to. Wouldn't change it now for the confidence it gives you on the DH :D

One word of caution i would say though, is check that your frame is capable to taking them. I checked the manual to find out if mine was, maybe do the same?

Cheers

Jamie