ISCG chain tensioner vs clutch mech

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I run a 2x10 XO gearing set-up and get a lot of chain slap and dropped chains but only from the cranks top chain ring to the small never into the bottom bracket. Still its really annoying stomping on the pedals after doing drops or whatever to crunching shifting gears.

I'm considering an upgrade and quite simply what are the pro’s and cons of running a ISCG chain tensioner vs those new clutch mechs?

Would I get the same result from selling my current XO mech and buying a replacement clutch XO mech as using a ISCG tensioner but minus the extra weight?
Are there benefits to using an ISCG over a clutch mech?
Anything else that i could try to add tension, like those 90's DCD chain devices. Anyone remember those?

Yes I have checked my chain length and its spot on and no I don’t want to run 1x10.

Thanks.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are no ISCG chain tensioners.

to be a tensioner in needs a spring.

a lower roller holds the chain on to the front ring and therefor reduces the amount of free chain between it and the rear mech.

it also reducers/removes the chance of the chain unshipping from the front cog.

rear mech clutches no idea but the force has to go somewhere. and that will be the mech hanger.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • My bad terminology on the use 'tensioner' but you got the jist.

I'm no weight junky but from other threads from folk with scales, an ISCG chain device weighs nearly as much as a bottom bracket. Thats irritating which i why i'm considering the extra cost of going down the clutch mech route
    nicklouse wrote:
    rear mech clutches no idea but the force has to go somewhere. and that will be the mech hanger.

Thats a very good point i have not (and i now wonder if manufacturers) have considered.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    A blackspire stinger* sorted my limited chain drop problems out. But for me I sometimes backpedal a half turn before corners or whatever, so I'd get the dropped chain from the bottom half of the chainring. Hope that makes sense.

You could always try one of those plastic things that attach to the chainstay. I forget the name of them.

Otherwise I think clutch mech is your only solution.

*MRP LRP, but same kinda thing.