Creaking Seat

spdpug98
spdpug98 Posts: 112
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
A bit of a strange one!!

My Cube Ltd Race is about 18 months old and has had a relatively hard life - after a long weekend riding the trails in South Wales last week my seat started creaking

I thought I'd spray the areas where the metal frame goes into the saddle with GT85 to stop it, what a mistake the creaking and noise has got 100 times louder and 100 times worse - does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid this noise other than buying a new saddle

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can you try another saddle to try and rule the seatpost out, or vice versa?
  • spdpug98
    supersonic wrote:
    Can you try another saddle to try and rule the seatpost out, or vice versa?

Yes, I have a spare one on my old bike - will try that, I'm sure its not the seatpost as it has got so much worse after spraying, but will give it a try
  • Its not an SDG bel Air is it?
  • spdpug98
    Its not an SDG bel Air is it?

No its the standard Cube one it came with

I've gone for the soak it in water for 5 mins to try and was the GT85 out, seems to have worked but will have to wait and see once its totally dried out
  • itguy2
    itguy2 Posts: 88
    Does the bel air have a reputation? The one on my orange crush creaks but I've never really looked into it

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • itguy2 wrote:
    Does the bel air have a reputation? The one on my orange crush creaks but I've never really looked into it

It seems so, yes. Lots of results returned if you google it. I sent two back to Wiggle because of the creak and thankfully the 3rd is perfect. I kept trying because its the first truly comfy saddle i found.
  • my charge spoon squeeks quite often, occasionally the screws on the underside of the saddle come loose, but squirting some grease into the points where the saddle rail enters the seat helps stop it for a while!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The technical term is squeaky ass syndrome.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • spdpug98
    Thanks for all the replies, good to know its not only my saddle!!

The water trick seems to have worked, but if it returns I'll try the silicone spray / grease
  • spdpug98
    spdpug98 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies, good to know its not only my saddle!!

The water trick seems to have worked, but if it returns I'll try the silicone spray / grease

10 miles tonight and no creaking, forgot how quiet riding a bike could be :D