CO2 Inflators - Do They Work

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Simple question -

Do the CO2 type tyre inflators actually work?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Simple answer - Yes if you do it right
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Yes... very well in fact.
    If cost was not a consideration, then I would replace the pump on my commuter with a CO2 inflator.
    As it is, I only use it on my bikes where I am not carrying a bike pump.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    small, light, fits in saddle bag, only £1 to use each time and it works well and is quick and easy.

In the past two years of riding I have had one puncture - why would I carry a pump for two years for that one event? when I did get the puncture it took about 4 minutes to swap the tube over and inflate it - I don't like hassle.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Despite what some folks say, they aren't 100% reliable so if you only carry two cartridges and you have three punctures, you're $crewed. They are worse in winter / wet as any trapped water can freeze the tyre valve open. CO2 is fine on a group ride when you know someones got a pump....I've been on winter rides where we've gone through 10 cartridges and my frame-fit pump came in handy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think most people who use them carry a pump as well. I'm too lazy and just carry a pump!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have a CO2 but in 2.5 years and many thousands of miles, I have never had call to use it. I don't carry a pump.

It can never be a substitute for decent puncture resistant tyres.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro