DT Swiss 1800 Front Hub Play Issue

Obs1dian
Obs1dian Posts: 88
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've got a DT swiss M1800 front wheel with 15mm QR. I noticed today that when I put the front brake on there is play (forward and backward) in the wheel. There is absolutely no side-to-side play and the wheel still spins freely (it doesn't slow down particularly).

I've seen a few other threads regarding hub play but I've probably only racked up about 100 miles on it so far and surprised to be getting a problem with it so early on. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so where is the movement? pads in the caliper? rotor on the hub?

is it 6 bolt or splined? or adaptor from spline to bolt?

not hub play but brake movement.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Obs1dian
    The play is definitely in the hub itself. The wheel rocks back and forth, there is a squeaking sound coming from the hub too. The rotor is 6 bolt and there is no (apparent) play in the pads, in fact the braking itself is spot on when out riding. I have no idea how the back and forward play will ultimately affect the bike though or whether it is affecting handling..
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It could well be the pads moving in the housing. I thought it was my headset for a while but narrowed it down to that.
  • Obs1dian
    How did you resolve it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just use it.

if it was play in the hub you would also have side play as well.

but like i implied work through and check the connections.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    this happened to a friend of mine recently when he got a new wheel, turned out the bolts on the disc weren't tightened down enough, wont hurt to check yours
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011