Glazing Brakes Issues?

Woody80
Woody80 Posts: 324
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just got back from a few days of riding in the Alps and I've got some issues with my front brake which need sorting!

The front brake starting making a horrendous noise either honking or wheezing which seemed to happen if I trailed the brake for too long - I guessed this was just as it heated up and started to struggle. The noise was accompanied by a vibration which you could feel through the bars and actually see through the fork legs which I was surprised at being a set of Fox 36s?

I changed the pads thinking this might help and it did but only briefly before it started all over again.

The rotors were cleaned with brake cleaner and the pads were new so I'm guessing it's a glazing issue? They still worked though but have just got really noisy with this horible vibration.

If it is glazing due to temperature what can I do to avoid it in this type of riding (apart from get braver and brake less!)

I'm using a set of Avid Elixir 7s (2012) with a 203 HS1 rotor (180 rear) with Superstar Sintered pads. The rear has started to get noisy so I'm figuring the same problem here.

Would a different brand of pads help or are they much of a muchness?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12674934
    basically bigger rotors but as you have 203 on the front it comes down to improving your braking use.

dont drag the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • deveng
    deveng Posts: 132
    Woody80 wrote:
    Superstar Sintered pads.

From what I've been told, this is where your problem lies.
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    deveng wrote:
    Woody80 wrote:
    Superstar Sintered pads.

You have been told wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Woody80
    nicklouse wrote:
    basically bigger rotors but as you have 203 on the front it comes down to improving your braking use.

dont drag the brakes.
    Thanks, I read this first to check. I was hoping there might be another option other than the brake less one!
    Since my brakes are permanently making a noise now have I glazed both the disc and pads? Can you deglaze the disc with wet and dry or anything?
  • Woody80
    cooldad wrote:
    deveng wrote:
    Woody80 wrote:
    Superstar Sintered pads.

You have been told wrong.
    Are pads all pretty similar then for a given compound?
    I'd assumed they would be
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Woody80 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

dont drag the brakes.
    Thanks, I read this first to check. I was hoping there might be another option other than the brake less one!
    Since my brakes are permanently making a noise now have I glazed both the disc and pads? Can you deglaze the disc with wet and dry or anything?
    just the pads will need sorting rotors should be fine.

the Alps does show up peoples poor braking habits.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown