Mainstream or Niche? (Boardman CX team or Cotic X)

IsaacJohnson
IsaacJohnson Posts: 52
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
I really like the retro look and ride of steel frame bikes and unfortunately I do steer clear of Halfords (possible snobbery) but I just can't ignore the reviews the Boardman bikes are getting or the fact that I see so many about. That many people can't be wrong, can they? Maybe it's the fact I see so many that I yearn for something different. I'm yet to see an 'X' out and about. Is this a bad sign or part of the appeal?

So with a budget of about a grand, what do you guys think? Is there a cyclocross (not for racing) gem that I have over looked? Or should I pick either of these? Must be quick, smooth and lightish.
The road is long...so take a shortcut.

Comments

• Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    As a former owner of a X I have these words for you.
    Specialized Crux.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Supergoose wrote:
    As a former owner of a X I have these words for you.
    Specialized Crux.

I hadn't heard of the Crux until your post. I've looked into it. Apparently it is very fast but a little to single minded to race use for my liking and apparently not too comfortable which is pretty much my first priority.

Why did you get rid of the Cotic? It would be interesting to hear some negative feedback, because so far I only have my LBS's (Cotic dealer) opinion. The only thing putting me off is the fact that they ditched the Reynolds 853 from the prototype and are using their own unproven steel.

Ideally, I would like a retro-look steel bike with modern technological advantages but that weighs less than a CDF. Tricky huh?
  • Why do you want a CX bike specifically? Retro-look and CX seems like a bit of a conflict to me.

I suspect the Cotic X weighs a fair old amount, but then that's the pay off to get the ride of steel.

The reason you will see so many Boardmans around is because of the cycle to work scheme. That's not to say they are not excellent bikes, however.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    I'm loathed to deliver a negative review of the Cotic to be honest. It's just that I feel it's trying to tick too many boxes. I had purchased mine as a race bike which it is not. The clearance at the fork for instance is no good, I've seen more room on some road bikes.

Weight is an issue as well, with those cable operated discs it's a heavy old bird. The bottle bosses are rather bizarrely situated, and there have been some issues about lazy handling.

I wanted to love it, but the issues mentioned meant I had to move it on.

Agreed, if in the future the 853 was to happen with hydraulic discs with better clearance and a more race specific kind of ethos rather than trying to catch all, then I'd be interested. The Crux is an excellent tool for the job of racing but with no mudguard eyelets, one boss, and fairly upright geometry it's not for commuting, say. Horses for courses I suppose if its an all rounder your after. I'd consider a Genesis Day One.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • I want CX, I guess, because I feel my MTB is overkill for what I use it for. Road, bridalways and singletrack. It is lovely and smooth and light enough for me but it's an old Cannondale alloy frame which is just too stiff It rattles me around. Also it is in desperate need of an overhaul which would cost about £650 So I thought I might as well go for something different. I've looked at Audax stlye bikes but they seem too cluttered and I have little intention of really touring. CX just seems like a happy medium. I suppose I would like a road bias that can rough it too because if I see a track, I'll take it. Also, I'm quite heavy myself so it will have added stress from that. I don't like many of the lairy paint designs that seem to be all the rage, (eg. Giant, Cube, Scott etc.) I like a subtle understated look that is quietly purposeful and most importantly will blitz my mate on his "all gear no idea" £4k+ Marin. I really like the look of the Genesis bikes but they do seem overly weighty. Not tried a day one though. I think my LBS has one but I've always over looked it because it sits next to the CDF which is gorgeous.