Tubulars - a few practical questions...

IanTrcp
IanTrcp Posts: 761
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Tubular newbie. Had my LBS fit Ultremo tubs to my shiny new wheels (I'll try it myself next time). All good and ready to go.

Some questions:

- If I want to use Stan's or Caffelatex (I have both for my MTB's) as a preventative measure, how much should I use?
- Is either one of these two products better than the other for any particular reason?
- Is there any reason not to "preload" the tyres in this way? My original thought was to carry sealant and CO2 for use when the inevitable happens but perhaps prevention is better than cure?
- Would Vittoria Pitstop be a better solution? If so why?

Any other thoughts, ideas.....?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    When you start thinking along those lines, the best thing is not to go out on your bike at all. Using sealant as a preventative measure is a good idea before the race of your life, otherwise, you just stop at the side of the road and fix the problem.
    Sealant is not active forever...
    Carry a spare tub and a can of sealant and happy days
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    as above rally. I carry a cheap conti giro as a spare. Pregluing is a good idea too and folding it on iself keeps the glue tacky so when you remove your punctured tub in theory the preglued one will stick (maybe not as well but well enough) to get you home.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • IanTrcp wrote:
    - Is there any reason not to "preload" the tyres in this way? My original thought was to carry sealant and CO2 for use when the inevitable happens but perhaps prevention is better than cure?

Yes here is two good reasons: over time the sealant will solidify into a solid mess which will unbalance your tyres and add rotating mass whilst not adding any puncture protection at all.

Secondly, if you ever let the tyres deflate the sealant will glue the inner surfaces of the innertube together so that when you next inflate to 100+ PSI the tube will rupture.

So yeah, it's a good way to ruin a perfectly good tubular.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    As ugo said... I thought about 'preloading' too, but it only stays liquid for 3 months or so, and is most effective when fresh, so after a month or so you'd want to carry something else anyway. Although ridiculously minor the sealant fluid also will increase Crr.

I now carry a can of pit stop and a pre-glued tub. If you use something light like a Vittoria eco cx then they fold up very small and light - not much larger than a standard inner tube. I use an external HDD case from PC world, which fits my spare tub, 2 co2, multitool and spoke key, and it slips into a jersey pocket perfectly.

That way you don't ever need to 'worry' that the sealant does not work. Try it, if not, change the tub, 5 mins done. If the idea of it not working doesn't bother you and you have a lift on hand then don't worry. But the fact your thinking of reloading would suggest you should carry a spair tub...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Stans might not be OK for use with latex inners, Caffelatex is OK though - the ammonia in some sealants destroys the latex rubber. Tufo tubs are popular to carry as spares as they're pretty robust and quite light - ride is fairly harsh though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    Thanks all.

RPD Steve - do you mean Vittoria evo cx or is there an eco cx??

Monty Dog - which of the Tufo tubs have you seen pack down small??
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    IanTrcp wrote:
    Thanks all.

RPD Steve - do you mean Vittoria evo cx or is there an eco cx??

Monty Dog - which of the Tufo tubs have you seen pack down small??

I did indeed mean an EVO CX, just sloppy! Like this:
    http://www.tufo.com/elite-jet-160g-1/

The lightest/smallest tufo is this:
    http://www.tufo.com/elite-jet-160g-1/

More costly than the CX though, and only 20g lighter. And FYO 28" tubs are exactly the same as 700c and are standard size - just old naming is common for tubs.