Which Goupset configuration?

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi after some tips and experiences please
Im Building a light weight do it all bike suitable for Trail riding, Cross Country racing and generally riding a lot.
I have always had 27 speed gearing but want to go for either 20 or 30 speed and that is where the problem begins. I want to go Shimano XT as of all the groups I've had over the years XT just always feels right. Do I go 2x 10 or 3x10 a lot is made of Sram 2x10 but is shimano 2 x 10 specific as good? or should I go for the Shimano 3x10?

Oh any good places to buy a complete group set from? looking to spend a tad under £600

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    3x10 gives you a higher high gear, and shorter steps between the chainrings (generally) - but more overlap, while a double will reduce the overlaps, but you'll lose the very high or the very low gear (depending on the combo).

A typical double set up is 36/22 with an 11-34 cassette. With ten speed you can go as high as 11-36, and maybe cut the front ring to 36/24 (or maybe go for 38/24).

Really does depend how you use your gears. What I have found with double set ups is that I change more at the front - with a triple set up I spend most time in the middle, dropping into he other two rings as needed. With the double I often couldn't find a sweet spot. For all round versatility I'd go for a triple.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheap - bikediscount in germany ( .de).......

Shimano just as good as SRAM, presumeably you know your gearing needs (what gears you use now) so as long as you can cover them with 2x10, use 2x10!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Merlin is your best bt for Groupsets I think - 2 x 10 XT - http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/shimano-xt-m780-2-x-10-disc-brake-groupset-black.html

I dont personally have any experience of 2 x 10 either shimano or sram but if you are used to one or the other or prefer one or the other I'd go with what you know - I have sram on my dh bike and dont really like it but generally dont have to change gear so wont be changing it until it explodes. Shimano makes more sense due to years of use so I'd go for that in your position. I have heard nothign negative about their 2 x 10 system and a 3 x 10 seems to be a bit pointless.

Depending where you ride you might also consider 1 x10?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use 2x10 & have had 2x9. Don't really notice the difference. I haven't used a triple chain set for a long time, I never ride on the road so never use a big chain ring. It is worth fitting a light weight bash guard, Straitline guards are pretty good.
    I have got 10 speed SRAM X0 & Shimano SLX 10 speed set up. The Shimano set up is much better and half the price. SRAM doesn't have the release working in both directions like Shimano.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Converted from 3x9 (Deore) to 2x10 (SLX/XT) at the beginning of the season. Before I decided to change I spent a couple of weeks not using the big ring (44t) to see if I'd miss it...I didn't
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There's all manner of doubles depending on what you want, for XC racing and riding I found 28/40 or 28/42 good, although as SS said plenty of people choose 22/36.

If you use the middle ring all the time then you may not get on with a double, as you effectively lose that ring. If you're always switching between the middle and big, then you'll probably get on with a double!

Check the German shops for bargains though for sure.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Just got a full XT set for just under 400 Eur from bike-discount.de. Only one ride in the p1ssing rain around what passes for an MTB course in Holland but I was very impressed. Switched from old SRAM X9 and the change was pretty simple really. Did nt find it at all new or scary.

Not much or a reliability test I confess, but in terms of useability I like it. I went with a 40/28 set with a 11-36 cassette as there are no hills here, but even the super steep "bumps" on the course were managable. If I was still living in N Wales I'd have gone for a smaller one.

Need to start thinking about wheels now as my old ones are struggling :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    Hi guys thanks for all the tips. Looks like i'll be going 2x10. 28/40 front with 11/34 rear. I'm fairly fit so unless I make a trip back to Dalby's wc course I should be able to cope with most climbs. :lol: