What do i look for when buying a second hand bike?

simey83
simey83 Posts: 113
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello All,

I am going to look at a bike tomorrow. What are the things i need to check for to see if it it in good working order? Also, it has a RockShox Reba Team fork. Do i need to check anything on that?

Thanks Guys.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you need to ask then I'd suggest you take someone with you that knows what to look for. Sounds like the bike is fairly high spec. One small thing you miss could cost a few hundred quid.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hmmm, I would take it for a spin and see how it feels and do a basic bike check which should show up anything too weird, ie;

Wheels - check spokes, spin them to see if true, see if they wiggle sideways (they shouldn't!).
    Forks - any bashes on the stantions? Are they plush? Any oil residue? Have they been serviced?
    Brakes & shifters - see is they work!
    Headset - hold the front wheel between your legs and wiggle the bars, should feel tight with no play.
    Frame - check for cracks and significant bashes etc.
    Bottom bracket / cranks - check if there's play in the cranks, do they feel tight etc.
    Chain set - see if all the gear changes are ok when riding, any slipping? Do the teeth look ok on the chain rings?
    Shock - as forks really!

Umm, think that's about it really! I have bought quite a few second hand bikes and I always factor into the price that something will probably need replacing / servicing. Never been stung too badly (yet :shock: ) :lol:

Good luck :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Just make sure that all the parts they say are on it are actually on it as well!
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • LAUNCH69
    LAUNCH69 Posts: 119
    Check the alignment of the frame/rear. I am currently trying to find out if my 2nd hand buy is fixable due to not checking the alignment of the swingarm. :cry:
    Specialized Rockhopper

Bike is still better than the rider . . .
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I prefer buying in person, that way you can ask searching questions as to when they last serviced it, and get an impression of whether they are the sort of person who is genuine.

I`ve bought 4 very good bikes secondhand now,mostly via the classifieds.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo