fricton shifters question

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
Has anyone ever put (or heard of someone else putting) downtube friction shifters on a Mountain bike?

I want to put some on my Mtb / tourer. I was wondering if there is a frame clamp, or bracket that you can buy to use as the braze on part to attach the shifters to.
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any real reason to have them on the down tube and not the bars?

sure i have seen some old skool band-on fittings that would do the the job but you are going to have to go round the old skool LBSs
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ricktabor1
    The reason is that I have put drop bars on a 1991 Mtb to use as a tourer. My brake levers aren't sti and I'm looking for a cheap alternative for gear shifting...... you know, the kind of cheap that means you can throw the bike on a plane and not care about it.

I might go down the bar end shifters route but I can't find any cheaper than 40 quid (yes, i'm a tight arse). Also, I think bar end shifters are too easily breathable compared with downtube shifters.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or http://www.retrobike.co.uk classifieds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ricktabor1
    Predictive text...... breakable not breathable!
  • ricktabor1
    Thanks.
    I'll take a look on retro bike and ask around the lbs's.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or your local dump - plenty of old bikes get chucked. Ask the skip monkeys nicely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ricktabor1 wrote:
    The reason is that I have put drop bars on a 1991 Mtb to use as a tourer. My brake levers aren't sti and I'm looking for a cheap alternative for gear shifting...... you know, the kind of cheap that means you can throw the bike on a plane and not care about it.

I might go down the bar end shifters route but I can't find any cheaper than 40 quid (yes, i'm a tight ars*). Also, I think bar end shifters are too easily breathable compared with downtube shifters.

quoted for the auto correct.

and the issue you will have is tube diameter. both the bars and the down tube.

but as it is an oldish MTB it could be using fairly stock tube diameters?

if so then click here http://tinyurl.com/c7jzhcs

spar or SJS could have something that might do
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown