Seat packs: impossible not to hit your thighs on them?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
I bought a pretty small Topeak seat pack some time ago, which is great, but I do find the backs of my thighs knock lightly against it with pretty much every pedal stroke. I then bought a very slim looking Specialized one and was promised by the guy in the shop that I would not touch it, but guess what?

I do have pretty narrow sit bones and I am using a narrow saddle, but is it something you just have to get used to? It doesn't bother me that much, but I would quite like a pack that I do not knock against if there's one out there.

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Have you tried a Fizik saddle? Their bags are suspended off the back of the saddle rather than the seatpost.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    same with the Ortlieb micro bag I use. it's suspended off the back of the saddle so doesn't interfere with legs at all...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • danmitch
    danmitch Posts: 47
    I use a Fizik saddle so the obvious choice would have been the Fizik bag but I didn't like it - bought an Arundel Dual which is great, no thigh contact at all and lots of storage despite being tiny, probably because it is a simple shape http://www.arundelbike.com/seat-bags.html
    I get a tube, lever, small multi tool, patches, 2 x 16g CO2, valve and keys and cards in easily.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The Lezyne microcaddy sits right at the back of the saddle:

a0126046_19552614.jpg
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    g00se wrote:
    The Lezyne microcaddy sits right at the back of the saddle:

a0126046_19552614.jpg

+1 for the Lezyne

It's the only saddle bag that looks acceptable too :)
  • Thanks all!

Sadly not on Fizik

The Lezyne really does look good. Ok for tube, levers, multi-tool and spare EPO?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    Thanks all!

Sadly not on Fizik

The Lezyne really does look good. Ok for tube, levers, multi-tool and spare EPO?

Spare EPO? Maybe your thighs are bulging out with all those red cells... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • g00se
    Thanks all!

Sadly not on Fizik

I can get into it:

spare tube x1
    small multitool
    small chain breaker
    tiny CO2 inflator (Lezyne Speed Drive)
    CO2 cartridges x2
    patch kit
    spare links
    levers

If I take the levers out, I can get another tube in there - though it's a bit of an art getting it all to fit.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I have the Lezyne and my thighs rub on it. Rubbing will ruin your bib shorts.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I have the Lezyne and my thighs rub on it. Rubbing will ruin your bib shorts.

Yeah, that's my worry.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I have narrow sit bones and well muscled thighs :wink: and have long ago given up on seat packs - now a confirmed kit-in-a-ziploc-bag-in-rear-pocket advocate. Race saddles are small so there's not much to hide a bag behind...
  • I have narrow sit bones and well muscled thighs :wink: and have long ago given up on seat packs - now a confirmed kit-in-a-ziploc-bag-in-rear-pocket advocate. Race saddles are small so there's not much to hide a bag behind...

That may actually be the answer!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408

I've got the same bag and it's great. No rubbing at all. I suspect this is down to the shape of your saddle.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have one of these sometimes and its great:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=5471&categoryID=111

Sits below the top tube, in front of the seatpost.

Designed for carrying a lock but no reason why it cant carry other stuff.

Also have the Topeak tri bag and its OK but doesnt always sit well against the stem on some bikes.

Also have the Lezyne seat post pack and cant see how it would rub your thighs - I had some lights that rubbed on the road bike, so changed them for slimmer ones, but dont have any problem with the seat pack.

There are lots of options though - including putting your tools/stuff in a bottle in a bottle rack.

Jersey pocket would be absolutely last resort for me..
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I've had similar problems in the past with velcro strapped bags. Fizik intergrated clip bags work pretty well but obviously only if you're on a Fizic saddle. I'm currently experimenting with one of these -

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/accessories/luggage-transport/saddle-bags/scicon-aeronaut-saddle-bag-and-tyre-levers.html

With the clip being mounted at the back of the seat rails it's far enough away that I don't have any problems and the clip etc seem very well thought out (2 negative comments though, stick some duct tape over the hole at the mount and bin the freebie levers).
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    saddle.jpg

Plus

bottle.jpg
  • nwmlarge wrote:

I actually have one of those. Sadly your knees knock against it when climbing out of the saddle.

Some people'll never be happy, eh?
  • MattC59 wrote:

I've got the same bag and it's great. No rubbing at all. I suspect this is down to the shape of your saddle.

My saddle is particularly slim (possibly too slim for me - need to get my arse cheeks measured), but I might give the Lezyne a shot and see.
  • izza wrote:
    saddle.jpg

Plus

bottle.jpg

But wouldn't the big boys laugh at me for using a TT saddle on a road bike?
  • g00se
    MattC59 wrote:

My saddle is particularly slim (possibly too slim for me - need to get my ars* cheeks measured), but I might give the Lezyne a shot and see.

Make sure it's a lezyne micro caddy that fits up against the rear rails only - not the bigger standard caddy saddlebag that also has a strap around the seat post. Those are a lot bigger.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    MattC59 wrote:

My saddle is particularly slim (possibly too slim for me - need to get my ars* cheeks measured), but I might give the Lezyne a shot and see.

I've got the smaller of the two micro caddies, it comfortably holds a spare tube, tyre levers, patch kit, money, multi-tool and there's a bit of room left where I'm sure I can fit a chain tool. It sits right at the back of the saddle and is no wider than the saddle rails. I'd be amazed if your thighs rub on it, you'd have to be a contortionist to manage that :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    nwmlarge wrote:

I actually have one of those. Sadly your knees knock against it when climbing out of the saddle.

you must be really throwing the bike around to hit that or your frame is too short
    i used one for a period and never hit it once

i have a big topeak bag under my saddle now and i don't hit it just a tiny amount of contact from time to time

perhaps its due to the set up of the seat on the rails
  • nwmlarge wrote:
    nwmlarge wrote:

you must be really throwing the bike around to hit that or your frame is too short
    i used one for a period and never hit it once

i have a big topeak bag under my saddle now and i don't hit it just a tiny amount of contact from time to time

perhaps its due to the set up of the seat on the rails

The frame I used to use the Topeak on was too short so I'll give it another shot and see.

My seat setup's pretty standard. It could come down to my Chris Hoyesque thighs, of course ;)
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Jonny_T, what about one of these?:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-caddy-sa ... _Bag-Black
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:

Good call sir! May very well give it a shot!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:

I got mine from my Missus for Xmas.

The handle of my mini pump sticks out of it by 2-3 inches but I close the zip as far as it will go and it secures the bag and the pump. Good for 2 x tubes, multitool, levers and pump (as mentioned). It fits nicely inside a jersey pocket, leaving two jersey pockets spare for phone, food, gilet etc.

I stick it inside my helmet when I've finished so I know everything is in one place when I need to get my kit sorted for a ride.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

I got mine from my Missus for Xmas.

The handle of my mini pump sticks out of it by 2-3 inches but I close the zip as far as it will go and it secures the bag and the pump. Good for 2 x tubes, multitool, levers and pump (as mentioned). It fits nicely inside a jersey pocket, leaving two jersey pockets spare for phone, food, gilet etc.

I stick it inside my helmet when I've finished so I know everything is in one place when I need to get my kit sorted for a ride.

I've gone for it! Useful little bag even if it doesn't work out, but I have high hopes. Thanks for the tip!
  • jordan_217 wrote:

Just a follow up to say I went for it and very happy I am too. I'm only aware of it when riding out of the saddle, but even then it doesn't bother me. I know it's just a posh version of the ziplock bag, but then it really didn't cost that much.

Thanks for all your thoughts!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited August 2012
    I got a compact camera case from Asdas, a couple of quid.
    In it goes - inner tube, small Lezyne multi tool, levers, instant patches and a couple of wet wipes sealed in a ziplok.
    Case neatly goes in a back pocket along with a compact Lezyne pump. Sorted.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.