Winter bike alternative to Kinesis TK2

leonlikestrees
leonlikestrees Posts: 528
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've got a cyclescheme, and was going to buy a Kinesis TK2 as a nice winter commuter, but they no longer have my size in stock.

Assuming I can't find what I want anywhere (60cm, grey), i need an alternative.

I want something that rides reasonably nicely. I'm a bit concerned the Ribble would be like riding scaffolding. I would like road bike, not touring geometry, but I want mudguard eyes and rear rack mounts.

Price needs to be £1k or less, but not too much less as I have the voucher now, and I've nothing else to spend it on.

Having looked myself, Giant Defy and Specialized Secteur seem a reasonable option. Tifosi Audax seems nice, but I don't like the spec.

In an ideal world, it would be some sort of cultured aluminium frame, carbon forks, clearance for 28mm tyres and guards, with a Sram Apex groupset. Not very likely though, I suppose.

Ta for any help.

Leon

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Dolan?

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/a ... uct_id=463

I'm sure you could upgrade it to bring the price up.

I love mine. I think it rides better on the shitty roads round here than my floaty light carbon bike. Mine's built with Veloce, Mavic Open Pros and Gatorskins. It only has one set of eyes on the frame but it's still easy to fit a rack and guards. It was meant to be a commuter hack but I love it and have been spending far too much money on it.

Only falls short on the tyre clearance. You can fit 25s without guards, but it's recommended you use 23s with them.

Rob
  • I also have the Dolan and it's exactly the same as the Ribble only with a nicer colour scheme. The geometry is a little more racy, with 4cm of spacers under the stem the tops of the bars are lower than on my cube agree which has no spacers.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    I have a Defy 4 with the Defy mudguards and I can just about squeeze 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons in. Seems the Defy guards rattle a bit but my initial impressions after a 30 miler are that the ride is very good. I know Giants are ten a penny but they do know what they are doing. The Defy 1 has a nicer frame (smooth welds, stiffer BB) and is under the C2W limit
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Considered a Genesis Equilibrium? I know it's steel but it gets good reviews and meets your other criteria.

I bought my Racelight Tk five years ago and was swayed by the lightness of the frame. With 25mm tyres and carbon fork the ride is pretty good. However, if I was shopping around for a new bike today I might be tempted by the Genesis.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Considered a Genesis Equilibrium? I know it's steel but it gets good reviews and meets your other criteria.

I bought my Racelight Tk five years ago and was swayed by the lightness of the frame. With 25mm tyres and carbon fork the ride is pretty good. However, if I was shopping around for a new bike today I might be tempted by the Genesis.

I don't think the Genesis had rack mounts does it?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You're right, it doesn't have the upper mounting points on the seatstays.

Not an insurmountable problem though.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    skyblue337 wrote:
    I have a Defy 4 with the Defy mudguards and I can just about squeeze 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons in. Seems the Defy guards rattle a bit but my initial impressions after a 30 miler are that the ride is very good. I know Giants are ten a penny but they do know what they are doing. The Defy 1 has a nicer frame (smooth welds, stiffer BB) and is under the C2W limit
    Have had a Defy 2 for 3 winters and can testify that they make great winter trainers. The mudguards last about 1 winter then need replaced but they do fit well and keep the worst of the crap off your clothes and the frame. After about 15,000 miles my frame developed a crack on thwe weld where the stays meets the seat tube but have a warranty replacement on the way from Giant, no questions 3 and a half years from when I bought it.
  • Also no 60cm Equilibriums left either :-(

This is a terrible time of year to try and buy a bike on cyclescheme. Availability is limited, and the good sale deals aren't really open.

Giant Defy seems a good option though. I raced on TCR's for quite a few years. I was a bit worried they might be a bit tall in the headtube though. Any idea how they fare compared to a TCR?
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Definitely more upright than the TCR. I have mine slammed and it still feels like a sit up and beg position compared to my Kuota Kebel. That's fine though as I use it primarily for going to work with a back pack and in the winter when its long steady miles, so, works well.
  • Kaffenback
  • Tifosi ck7