Aftermarket fork for Ribble Gran Fondo

Shuggy76
Shuggy76 Posts: 91
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of buying aftermarket carbon forks for the Ribble Gran Fondo. I'm quite new to road biking and have been offered a GF at a reasonable price, and tbh it looks excellent VFM and it's the kind of frame i'm after. ... but, i've been in conact with Ribble, and they can't supply a fork on its own for the bike.

Is there anything special about the sizing on the fork steerer itself which makes it unique, and need it's own brand of fork to match it, or can you help me find a good aftermarket carbon one?
Cheers in advance!

Steve

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't think there is anything unusual about the Gran Fondo's fork. Ribble should be able to clarify the spec. I do know that Hope have some pool bikes for their staff which are Gran Fondos in Hope colours and with a different fork (I think with a carbon steerer) - so there are alternatives out there. No idea what they used but I'd assume it is one of the non specific forks that Ribble sell.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tonybanham
    tonybanham Posts: 64
    Hi Shuggy76,

If you require Gran Fondo fork I have a new one in the garage which has never been used- PM me if you are interested in buying.
  • skyblue337
    skyblue337 Posts: 135
    I'm a big fan of Ribble but I don't understand this policy. What happens if you damage your forks in some way? They really wouldn't just sell you replacement forks?
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    skyblue337 wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Ribble but I don't understand this policy. What happens if you damage your forks in some way? They really wouldn't just sell you replacement forks?

Agreed, it makes no sense, assuming the rule also applies to buyers who have already purchased a frame/fork from them but need a replacement . Are they not fairly standard Dedacciai forks - if Ribble will not help perhaps try them direct?
  • Hi, Does anyone know where I can get hold of replacement forks for a 2012 Ribble Gran Fondo (56cm frame)?

Had a nasty accident on Saturday (02 Mar 2013), and my Gran Fondo came off with a busted front wheel & forks. Ribble won't sell the forks, unless I alsoo buy a complete frame, and suggested I try google....
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The GF changed to a tapered head tube for later models so you need to know which one you are looking for as they need to sculpt into the bottom of the head tube correctly. The later tapered ones are 1/15th at the bottom of the head tube, so the fork crown needs to be larger than the previous model.

Also I know Ribble state the forks are not available separately but surely if you contact them and explain they must have a solution for crash damage?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • First thing I did was phone Ribble: Response was a straight "We don't sell the forks separately", they only sell you the forks if you buy the whole frame as well. They then mentioned that as my bike is the 2012 model, they can't provide my frame either as it has been replaced with a newer different geometry one. Also, they don't sell any other forks that would fit. When I asked if they could suggest anywhere I might be able to get some, they said that they didn't know of anywhere, but I should be able to find some on google.

What a great approach (NOT). I would have thought there was some sort of duty of responsibility to provide components for their products for a reasonable length of time.

So still looking for replacement forks (Clearly not going to be Ribble ones).
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Are these not the right ones then??

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/forks-forks-road-ribble-2011-12-gran-fondo-carbon-road-forks/ribbforr170

Seems a strange decision to not sell them given they list them even if out of stock currently. I could understand if they had run out and werent making them any more etc

610g though anyway - so i'd look for a lighter alternative. I've just swapped my Moda Stretto forks (640g) for Enve 2.0 (350g), Ignoring the weight saving - the full carbon fork is som much better in every other way (comfort, handling etc)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There are definitely some that fit. I did the Pendle Predator sportive 18 months or so ago and there were a number of bikes in Hope livery. When I looked closely at them I realised they were actually Gran Fondos but they had different forks and apparently the steerers were carbon. If all else fails, a longshot might be to see if Hope can say what forks they used.

It's something that niggles me about my own Gran Fondo and it is the one black mark for me against Ribble. Seems very unnecessary particularly since I've had a frame replacement as have many more. You'd think there would be a few spare forks about.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I've got these forks - carbon forks with carbon steerer and considerably lighter than the Ribble forks for the Gran Fondo. These were taken from a Gran Fondo that I purchased a while back but I put the original forks back on when I built the bike up for resale.

Will sell at a good price as I have no need for them.

P1080988.jpg
    P1080994.jpg
  • My local bike shop stripped down the Gran Fondo, so they could measure exactly what I required in new forks. Pretty surprised to discover that the forks fitted to my bike are standard 1&1/8", and definitely not with a tapered steerer. They are quite different to the ones in nochekmate's picture.

I checked back to my original order confirmation (less than a year ago), and sure enough it also says tapered steerer forks. So, it seems that Ribble didn't even send the bike they were supposed to, not that I would have known if it hadn't been for the accident, but nevertheless it's still not what I ordered. Plus side is that there are plenty of standard forks available.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Think they did both across the course of 2012 model year. Pretty poor that they didnt send what they were supposed to!! Still, at least now it gives you more options.

Have a look at the Deda Blackfin forks. They seem to be very good and not too dear.
  • Yep, Deda blackfins ordered and coming my way....