Need help for a Christmas present! Newbie...

LilyW
LilyW Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to buy my boyfriend a road bike for Christmas. He had a Cube LTD 2012 29er (something like that!) but it was stolen 8 days after he bought it :(

Now I know absolutely nothing about bikes and really need some help with which one to buy him! He's 6''8'' so needs a bigger frame size. He's now mentioned he wants a road bike (hense posting here!) and I thought would be a nice surprise for Christmas!

Please can I have some suggestions as to what to buy! I'm looking for a bike under £1000. But wouldn't mind one for a fiver either haha! :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    At 6 foot 8 i'd suggest you gets one that fits him....
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Wow. Your boyfriend is a lucky lucky boy having a girlfriend who is so generous and clearly understands a mans needs :D if it doesn't work out can I have your number :wink:

Seriously however there is a lot to choose from with a budget up to £1000 although not all bikes are available in big frame sizes. Cube make great road bikes and offer great value for money as pound for pound over other makes they generally come with a better spec of components in groupset and wheels.

A bike can be a personal thing and fit is important so quite hard to suprise your boyfriend and getting it right may be a challenge. I would suggest talking to a few local bike shops and potentially see if you can do something surreptitiously to find out what he wants ie taking an interest when he's looking at bikes in a magazine or online.

If you want suggestions on bikes then Cube Agree or Peleton, Cannondale CAAD 8 or 10, Specialized Allez are all the sort of thing that would fit the budget but as I said better to try and sneakily find out what he would go for.

Good luck.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Gladiator
    Gladiator Posts: 75
    Have a look at Cube bikes, the Peloton or the Peloton Pro. Failing that you can get Boardman bikes from Halfords (sh*t shop but good bikes)
    Or a Giant Defy for £999.

Your biggest problem will be frame size, just go for the biggest one!
  • 16mm
    Gladiator wrote:
    Have a look at Cube bikes, the Peloton or the Peloton Pro. Failing that you can get Boardman bikes from Halfords (sh*t shop but good bikes)

I'd not just go for the biggest one. I'd make sure it fits properly. £1000 is a lot of cash for a wrong fitting bike.
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I wouldn't buy him a bike without him trying it, as others have said its a lot of money if you get it wrong.

If you want to keep it a surprise find a local shop who stocks a good range of bikes, and take him in on xmas eve (or you could ask if they'd be willing to open xmas morning).
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • 16mm wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

I'd not just go for the biggest one. I'd make sure it fits properly. £1000 is a lot of cash for a wrong fitting bike.

Obviously, but how is she meant to do that if its meant to be a surprise? Read her post properly.
  • 16mm
    Gladiator wrote:
    16mm wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

Obviously, but how is she meant to do that if its meant to be a surprise? Read her post properly.

Well 'Surprise! I got you the wrong size bike' is a bit of an expensive let down.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Gladiator wrote:

Are any of those bikes makes that your Team ride?? ...and are you that scientific about their bike-fits??
    Jim453 wrote:
    You don't really understand team-road racing do you.
    Gladiator wrote:
    I know it inside out, i run a team.
  • 16mm
    16mm wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:
    16mm wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

Well 'Surprise! I got you the wrong size bike' is a bit of an expensive let down.

How about you buy a puncture repair kit for the christmas day surprise , and then mention there may be something else when the shops open? Like some tire levers:-)
  • mfin wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

Are any of those bikes makes that your Team ride?? ...and are you that scientific about their bike-fits??
    Jim453 wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

My team runs Giant bikes, and they are all fitted per rider. But then again, they arent bought as surprise Christmas presents.
    Again, read the thread numbnuts.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    How about getting a 'bike fitting' voucher for xmas from a local bike shop. Then he can pick the bike at the same time? :)

Bikes may well be cheaper after xmas too.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Possibly safer to get a £1000 pound gift voucher for a local shop with a wide range of bikes? Or get him a bike helmet with a little note/card inside telling him to go bike shopping with you in the sales? Just a thought! He is a lucky boy.

Sorry, my post is similar to above! :(
  • LilyW
    LilyW Posts: 3
    Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

I like the buy him an accessory and give him an a note so he can get fitted properly! That way I dont waste money!

Thanks again :mrgreen:
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    After the last bike - I suggest a bike lock :)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Gladiator wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

Jim453 wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

My team runs Giant bikes, and they are all fitted per rider. But then again, they arent bought as surprise Christmas presents.
    Again, read the thread numbnuts.

Ah, what team's that?
  • 16mm
    Rabobank?