Which bike < £2500 ???

badogblue
badogblue Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a Full suspension bike with 140-160mm travel.

Most of my riding is on singletrack/ mild DH with some freeride sections in N.Ireland and the occasional trip to Scotland (7stanes). I also hope to go to the Alps (Les gets) next year!

I would say 140 mm would be better for most of my riding (except maybe some big drops/jumps) but the 160 mm would definitely be better in the Alps!

The two bikes I am looking at are:

Norco Sight 2
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-norco-sight-2-12-46145

Commencal Meta Sx
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-commencal-meta-sx-12-46301

Both bikes I can get for £2300! The Norco seems better suited to my needs (140 mm travel) but its hard to pass up the Commencal which is a lot more bike for the same money!

I have thought of swapping the forks on the Commencal down to a 140 mm or maybe an adjustable fork.

Any advise would be most appreciated, Thanks!

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    you can get a lot more bike than those for less money http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2570
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • badogblue
    I was looking at the Canyon’s (specifically the Nerve AM 9.0/x) but I can get the Commencal at my local bike shop and may be able to order the Norco in.

I know the Canyon’s are a bargain but so is the Commencal (£3500 down to £2300 !!!)

From a Norco sight 2 review:
    The Norco gets a great spec, one that only the European mail-order brands are currently matching. The bonus in Norco’s case is that the Shimano XT gear is all bolted to a frame design that’s a match for anything on the market, which is something the Germans haven’t nailed yet. (Canyon)
    Is seems that the Canyon’s are the best value but do they lack in frame design?
    I wish Bikeradar did a review on the Canyon Nerve AM

Any other advise, what do you think of swapping the forks on the Commencal or should I just get the Norco or possible the Canyon Nerve AM 9.0?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Norco is great but it doesn't ride like an all mountain bike.
    I'm sure someone will say that I'm wrong but I would suggest the Orange 5. Great geometry, tough, reasonable weight for xc riding, will take a 160mm fork and looks ugly as fook (you won't look like a poser on a 5!).
    I would avoid Commencal, they only give a 6 month warranty and have a reputation for cracking.
  • chez_m356
    badogblue wrote:

I know the Canyon’s are a bargain but so is the Commencal (£3500 down to £2300 !!!)
    there's nothing in the spec of that bike which makes it better value than the strive i linked, and thats £300 cheaper than your sale price, you really need to compare specs rather than price
    badogblue wrote:
    From a Norco sight 2 review:
    The Norco gets a great spec, one that only the European mail-order brands are currently matching. The bonus in Norco’s case is that the Shimano XT gear is all bolted to a frame design that’s a match for anything on the market, which is something the Germans haven’t nailed yet. (Canyon)
    they are hardly going to say its not as good now are they, did they mention the yellowing paint in there review also? viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12868036 :wink:
  • badogblue
    Thanks for all the help, going to have another look at the Canyon's.

The two Canyon’s I’m looking at are the Nerve AM and the Strive, for mainly uk riding I’d say the Nerve would be better (150 front/ 140 rear). What you think?
    and, I’m 6ft so do you think the 18.5” frame would do? (like a slightly smaller frame)

Also, anyone know of any reviews of the Nerve AM, can only find the xc version.

Thanks!
  • chez_m356
    badogblue wrote:
    Thanks for all the help, going to have another look at the Canyon's.

The two Canyon’s I’m looking at are the Nerve AM and the Strive, for mainly uk riding I’d say the Nerve would be better (150 front/ 140 rear). What you think?
    and, I’m 6ft so do you think the 18.5” frame would do? (like a slightly smaller frame)

Also, anyone know of any reviews of the Nerve AM, can only find the xc version.

Thanks!
    ask here viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12789920 quite a few people with this years models
  • I have a 120mm Ghost and the spec on that is really good and it cost me about half of your budget (tax free and sale price). You can get some real bargains. Consider one of last years models as the prices are much better. Not all but in many cases from what I can gather they seem to have lowered the spec very slightly on 2012 bikes compared to 2011 ranges.

I haven't ridden all the other bikes though so can't provide a direct comparison. See if you can get somewhere and try a couple out before you buy, even of its hiring at a trail centre or something?
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    How about YT industries? Have had good reviews and your bang for your buck is amazing.
    150mm travel £1900
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index ... 24r66rj3qb

160mm travel £2350
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index ... t&info=214
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • rockmonkeysc
    I know a few poeple have cancelled orders with YT recently because they are very slow to deliver. Don't expect to get a bike from them in under two months
  • miguel73
    miguel73 Posts: 28
    I got the Strive ES9.0 a month ago and it rocks! I went through months and months of searching for reviews and most of the time came up empty handed.
    One of the reviews i did find said "if you have an engine to power these toys of speed to the top and along then you have the only bike you will ever need"...i think this helped me make my mind up more than the little bits i could find.

I ummed and arghed for ages but eventually took the decision to buy it, ive certainly not been disappointed with the way the bike rides or its spec/look. The only little issue i have is that the brakes could have done with a bleed before the bike was shipped, but its a little job i'll do myself this weekend before taking it out around the Peaks
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm sure someone will say that I'm wrong but I would suggest the Orange 5. Great geometry, tough, reasonable weight for xc riding, will take a 160mm fork and looks ugly as fook (you won't look like a poser on a 5!).
    I would avoid Commencal, they only give a 6 month warranty and have a reputation for cracking.

Absolute bull... The norco is a superb trail bike, much stiffer than a 5, lighter, better looking, and im pretty sure it would cope with a 36 if you really wanted too, a 34 would be a great fork for it.

Commencal have seemingly sorted their cracking issues, not seen many of the newer models with issues, but I could be wrong. YT look great on paper, the 160mm wicked with the BOS suspension looks sweet. I'd avoid the stumpy, it looks shit and as its a spesh, ignore anything mbr say...

If it were my money it'd be going on a discounted Mojo HD if you could find one
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:

Absolute bull... The norco is a superb trail bike, much stiffer than a 5, lighter, better looking, and im pretty sure it would cope with a 36 if you really wanted too, a 34 would be a great fork for it.

Commencal have seemingly sorted their cracking issues, not seen many of the newer models with issues, but I could be wrong. YT look great on paper, the 160mm wicked with the BOS suspension looks sweet. I'd avoid the stumpy, it looks shoot and as its a spesh, ignore anything mbr say...

If it were my money it'd be going on a discounted Mojo HD if you could find one

Then Norco is a great trail bike, best full sus trail bike I have ridden. Putting on a 34 or 36 (considering they are 160mm plus) would raise the bottom bracket too high & cause weird handling.
    Saying the Sight is better looking than the 5 is meaningless, anything is better looking than a 5.
    Pretty sure Commencal still only give 6 month warranty, I know thats all you get on the new Supreme DH. Thaat shows a lack of confidence to me that they cant match other manufacturers warranties.
    The YT does look great but there is a 2 month plus wait to get one.

Another alternative I quite like is the Rose Uncle Jimbo, great value. http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:526803
    I rode one a couple years ago & was quite impressed. I also liked the Granite Chief but it comes with Magura forks now which would put me off a bit.

Great discounts on the Nukeproof Mega at the moment as well. £1900 for the comp http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodJHsAUA
    Or £2700 for the pro http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75657