Cross Bike For £1000

sskelly
sskelly Posts: 79
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone, I want to get a cross bike through the cycle to work scheme but it is capped at a grand. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The Boardman seems to get consistantly good reviews but part of me feels dirty when thinking about buying one!

The Cannondale CAADDX 5 also gets good reviews (but does not have disc brakes).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jamienorton
    jamienorton Posts: 182
    i have on of these, http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:532649 great value, but not sure how the cycle to work scheme works.
  • sskelly
    The Rose bike looks nice!

So here is my short-list (any comments very welcome):
    Specialized Crux Elite
    Genesis CdF
    Whyte Charing Cross
    Pinnacle Arkose Three
    Scott CX Comp
    Kona Jake
    Cannondale CAADX 5
    Boardman CX Team
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    sskelly wrote:
    Genesis CdF

This would be my pick, beautiful bike
  • petemadoc
    Oh and if you ever plan to race I would wangle a budget stretch and go for this

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBO ... ross_rival

Ignore if not possible though
  • sskelly
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Oh and if you ever plan to race I would wangle a budget stretch and go for this

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBO ... ross_rival

Ignore if not possible though

Thanks for the comments Pete. I do intend to race, my kids have been doing the local summer series and I am going to have a stab at a few winter ones. Unfortunately I am buying through the cycle to work scheme so £1K is the maximum!
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited July 2012
    sskelly wrote:
    Hi everyone, I want to get a cross bike through the cycle to work scheme but it is capped at a grand. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The Boardman seems to get consistantly good reviews but part of me feels dirty when thinking about buying one!

The Cannondale CAADDX 5 also gets good reviews (but does not have disc brakes).

Thanks in advance
    first question is 'what are you going to use it for?' if you're going cx racing then something like the Crux or the CAAD which have appropriate cross gearing might be best, but no have rack or guard mounts so not ideal for bad weather communting /winter training bike?

My cards on the table, I overcame my prejudices and bought a Boardman CX Team as I wanted a winter bike, I'm very pleased with it. Fitted road tyres and guards. The gearing is possibly too high for CX'ing (50/34 chainring) but it has the Apex wifli with a low range cassette so maybe that improves matters? On the road it's good.

Don't think you can get Rose bikes on the C2W scheme and although I liked the look of the CdF for the money it's a bit heavy. I paid £750 for the Boardman and got great service from my local Halfords. They're not all rubbish.

Edit - just saw the post above so ignore my ramblings :roll:
  • petemadoc
    The CdF isn't a great choice for racing, as Arthur says it's a bit on the heavy side.

For racing you need 2 things, light as possible and low gears
  • double post
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Easy - if you're racing it, buy the lightest. Probably the Scott or Spesh, which will be more orientated to that sort of thing.

FWIW, I bought the Pinnacle Arkose 2 and have been commuting on it for a year, plus some day rides and pub runs etc and it's a bike I would recommend.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • sskelly
    Thanks for all of your comments.

I would ideally like to go for one with disc brakes (which limits choice at the C2W £1K cap).

There are a few steel framed bikes around within the budget but only a few aluminium ones (that I have found)

Whyte Charing Cross (read a review that said it would be suitable for racing)
    Boardman CX Team
    Pinnacle Arkose Three
    Specialized Tricross Disc

Anyone comments?

Cheers
  • bols2000
    bols2000 Posts: 5
    edited August 2012
    I'm in the same situation as you, trying to make my mind on a sub 1000 GBP CX bike so here is what I think of the bikes you mentioned.

Whyte Charing Cross : Geometry seems too relaxed (head angle = 69.3°), that's more like a MTB than a road bike. If you want to use it offroad, it's ok but if you are going to use it for commuting, it may fell strange. In addition, some people have reported that some components (rims) are cheap.

Boardman CX Team : For me, it has the best specs for the bucks. I would have already bought it if it had been available at Wiggle (the only boardman dealer outside Great Britain).

Pinnacle Arkose Three : Specs are similar to the boardman, price too. I just don't like its paint job (gloss black).

Specialized Tricross Disc : This model is under speced compared to the other bikes (yeah, you have to pay for the brand marketing), Sora (9-speed) instead of Tiagra/Apex (10-speed). If you you like this bike, you should look a the slightly more expensive Elite Disc which comes with Tiagra. It's a really well balanced bike. I like that its fork is in aluminium instead of carbon, I think it's more durable.

Kona Jake : You should also take a look at this very versatile bike. Specs are similar to the Tricross Elite Disc with a lower price tag.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Thought Ridley made some of the best crossers...
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    edited August 2012
    I have ordered Specialized Crux elite disc with sram apex. £1500 but got 10% discount so £1350

Weighs 9.15 kg which is a lot lighter than the mountain bike I was using for me 25 mile commute

And will also do a few laps of kielder and rutland quicker than the mountain bike, at least on the bike paths....

elite.png
  • bols2000 wrote:
    I'm in the same situation as you, trying to make my mind on a sub 1000 GBP CX bike so here is what I think of the bikes you mentioned.

Whyte Charing Cross : Geometry seems too relaxed (head angle = 69.3°), that's more like a MTB than a road bike. If you want to use it offroad, it's ok but if you are going to use it for commuting, it may fell strange. In addition, some people have reported that some components (rims) are cheap.

Boardman CX Team : For me, it has the best specs for the bucks. I would have already bought it if it had been available at Wiggle (the only boardman dealer outside Great Britain).

Pinnacle Arkose Three : Specs are similar to the boardman, price too. I just don't like its paint job (gloss black).

Specialized Tricross Disc : This model is under speced compared to the other bikes (yeah, you have to pay for the brand marketing), Sora (9-speed) instead of Tiagra/Apex (10-speed). If you you like this bike, you should look a the slightly more expensive Elite Disc which comes with Tiagra. It's a really well balanced bike. I like that its fork is in aluminium instead of carbon, I think it's more durable.

Kona Jake : You should also take a look at this very versatile bike. Specs are similar to the Tricross Elite Disc with a lower price tag.
    What I've said about the Pinnacle Arkose Three is not accurate, I confused with the Akrose Two.

The Akrose Three 2013 is better speced than the boardman cx. 105 instead of apex and avid bb7 instead of avid bb5. This bike is not gloss black but silver matt.

You should also take look at the Norco Threshhold A1 Disc 2013 which recently appeared on Evans Cycles. The price and specs are similar to the Akrose Three.
  • @sskelly, have made up your mind on what bike to buy?

Personally, I lowered my budget down to £800-850 and I'm now seeking for a bike with these minimum specs : Alloy frame, (carbon fork), Shimano Tiagra 10-speed, Avid BB5, rack/mudguards compatible. Does someone know a bike that fits these requirements?