Shoes/Pedals

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited July 2012 in Road buying advice
I'm keen to get a set of SPD pedals/shoes for road riding as am currently riding in trainers and it's a bit of a pain.

However there is a big decision I need to make. I already have a spare set of MTB SPD pedals and cleats, so just need shoes.

Or is it really worth getting the road specific pedals & shoes? Will I really notice a massive difference? It would be much cheaper to just get a set of the more slim, leathery mtb shoes as I already have the rest of the kit.

Opinions?

Comments

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    I would say since you've already got some pedals and cleats, just buy a stiff soled pair of MTB or commuter shoes. Will cost you far less, and theres not that much difference.

I rode like that for about 18 months before deciding to buy some SPD-SLs and a pair of Shimano road shoes.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • h34e0f
    Just found these, which would allow for advancement to proper road pedals and cleats later on.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55382
  • h34e0f
    Upon further research, most of the lower price Shimano shoes allow for use of both SPD and SPD-SL cleats. So I think this will solve my dilema!