Road bike or hybrid?

binka
binka Posts: 12
edited July 2012 in Road buying advice
I've already got a decent MTB which I'm fed up of also using on the road. Looking for something a bit quicker, more enjoyable for helping me to get fit a couple of times a week. I'm not looking at anything serious like racing, etc.

I'm a bit nervous of a road bike, mainly as I have disc problems in my back and I'm not sure the position I'd be in on a road bike would be comfortable.

I went to the LBS today to have a look at a Specialized Vita Elite. Guy in the shop also showed me a Specialized Dolce Triple and reckoned that I'd find the Triple more fun/easier/would do more distance on it. He said that with the Triple the seating position isn't extreme and its more like a hybrid position. Unfortunately they didn't have either in my size so wasn't able to try them out.

Obviously the triple is more money, but if its money well spent I'm happy to spend it. Just not sure I need a road bike for the distances I'm thinking of - will it make that much difference? If I get a hybrid will there be a noticable difference from my mtb?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Answers will be pro road bikes here - being a road bike forum.

I've ridden both and for recreational and fitness riding, a road bike is more fun. I would say a hybrid would be worth thinking about if you're likely to do more utility/commuter riding or on dirt track.

With a dodgy back, you would want a road bike with a longer head tube so you sit more upright. These are often referred to as 'sportive' bikes or having a more 'relaxed geometry'. The Dolce falls into this category.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get something like a Specialized Secteur, it has a more upright geometry than a race bike and should be perfect for you. I have the carbon version (the Roubaix) and it's wonderfully comfy.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • binka
    binka Posts: 12
    Thanks for the advice both of you. The routes I plan to do are 80% tarmac with one section of towpath which is a sort of compacted grit. So no loose gravel. I'm hoping a road bike would be ok with that?

I think the Sectueur is similar to the Dolce in that its more of an upright position than some road bikes. I'm keen on a female specific one as I'm short (5ft 2") with a short reach.

I'm going to ask the LBS if they can get both the Vita and the Dolce in for me to try. Thanks.
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    binka wrote:
    The routes I plan to do are 80% tarmac with one section of towpath which is a sort of compacted grit. So no loose gravel. I'm hoping a road bike would be ok with that?

I wouldn't fancy taking my road bike onto compacted grit regularly.Have you thought about a cyclocross bike.Here's one that looks good value.http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=12380
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I often take my tourer onto a cycle path a third of which is compacted earth, it's fine.

Only differences with a CX bike are mud clearance (which you won't need unless it's dreadfully muddy), clearance for bigger tyres, higher bottom bracket for improved ground clearance (which makes the bike harder to get on and off in traffic) and the brakes.

Most CX bikes have cantilever brakes, so does my tourer. I've found them to be dreadful, after about ten years I converted the tourer to mini-V brakes with a travel adaptor and they're far better. I'm sure others will disagree but that's been my experience, tried everything to adjust them (I'm an engineer) to no avail. Of course you may go for a CX bike with discs, those are excellent.

Roads bikes aren't as delicate as some people think.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!