Specialized stout freehub servicing

specialeyes
specialeyes Posts: 542
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
What do I need to service above mentioned freehub? Serviced the hub before, bearings ect but never the freehub. It's starting to engage when freewheeling. Happened a couple of winters ago and I had the lbs sort it but I'd like to have a go myself, I do all my own servicing now bar wheel truing.

Thanks!

Comments

• jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    Hi,

Sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as me - i managed to get water into the freehub so wanted to get it off and cleaned up re-lubed and re-fitted as ive done with a shimano in the past.

The one I have came on a 2011 Rockhopper Comp SL and I cant find much at all about them - infact most say that it has sealed bearings which mine doesnt :?:

so, ive got the axle and bearings off at the moment but i cant seem to get the damn freewheel off!

i've tried a 10mm, 12mm hex and 12-point key - from either side and both seem to be coming up short... any ideas?

thanks,

Dan
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just buy a new one and attach, that's proably what they did.
  • jerryfudd
    Just buy a new one and attach, that's proably what they did.

its getting the thing off im having a problem with :evil:

but yes - once off if the fitment was the same as a Shimano i was thinking of replacing it.

Dan
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Oh right, you're a person having the same problem.

On shimano - it's a 10mm allen key right into the center of the freehub, like you've tried? Other wise how does the 12mm fit in? Can you see a hex shape in there?
  • jerryfudd
    Oh right, you're a person having the same problem.

On shimano - it's a 10mm allen key right into the center of the freehub, like you've tried? Other wise how does the 12mm fit in? Can you see a hex shape in there?

I've only ever serviced a shimano and was easy as pie.

this stout however....... looking down the axle hole it seems to be a 12-point fitment and 12mm hex isn't big enough, I'm using an old 12mm long hex key I was lent but have a newer one on order to play around with but can't say I'm holding out much hope.

Dan
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Got a selection of allen keys? Chose a 5 and 6 put them together and does it fit inside? A 8 n 4? easy way to see what size allen fittings are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    Try a 12mm but coming in from the non drive side to get it off. That's what it's been for the last few specialized bikes I've worked on.

Mine looked like a joytech freehub body once it's off though.
  • jerryfudd
    jonnym5 wrote:
    Try a 12mm but coming in from the non drive side to get it off. That's what it's been for the last few specialized bikes I've worked on.

Mine looked like a joytech freehub body once it's off though.

got one on order but the crappy 12mm which i borrowed that was only just long enough didn't seem positive.

is it clock wise from the non drive side to get it out now?

I tried the keys together trick and definitely didn't seem like an 11mm will hopefully know a bit more when this new key turns up.

thanks for the help so far

Dan
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    Yeah clockwise to undo it from that side. I usually have the allen key held in the vice and use the wheel is leverage to remove them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some are 11mm, some imperial.....spesh are American......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Some are 11mm, some imperial.....spesh are American......
    but 7/16" is 11mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, but a bit larger, if the 11mm key is slightly small and with a 12point cut head an 11 may spin where a 7/16 may not!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jerryfudd
    Hi all,

thanks for your continued help on this - sending back my shiny new 12mm hex as its too large an have a 7/16" on order to try..... fingers crossed!

Dan
  • jerryfudd
    Yes, but a bit larger, if the 11mm key is slightly small and with a 12point cut head an 11 may spin where a 7/16 may not!

your the man! just arrived in the post and it's a fit, so based on that the 11mm would - as you said - would have been just slightly smaller and a worse fit.

just got to get the bugger off now.

hoping that if it's as unserviceable as people say I can just stick a shimano body on the existing hub.

Dan
  • Hi,

Did you manage to repair the freehub or did you end up replacing it?

Andy
  • ad2002 wrote:
    Hi,

Andy

cleaned it up and sprayed some WD40 in there but ended up even more rattly when i put it back on so am just going to replace it.

Dan
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jerryfudd wrote:
    ad2002 wrote:
    Hi,

Andy

cleaned it up and sprayed some WD40 in there but ended up even more rattly when i put it back on so am just going to replace it.

Dan
    There's part of your problem at least.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • id read somewhere else that it would do the trick as i couldnt seem to get the bugger open
  • Any idea where to get one, or if a Shimano free hub would be a direct replacement?
  • jeremys44
    jeremys44 Posts: 1
    If you're using an allen key it's actually 7/16 inch that you need. 11mm comes up a tiny bit short here. But you don't need an allen key to remove the FreeWheel hub. Try the 3/8 inch SQUARE drive extension from your socket set. It works a treat. Off in seconds.. Good luck..