spoke length mavic 517 v 717 ?

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I`m looking to replace an old Mavic 517 on a Hope XC front ie last century` kit :( with a new 717 rim---hub is disc specific.

Although spoke calculator online exist thy requier a very accurate measurement of hub diamner and spoke; probably soemone on this forum has replaced a 517 with a 717 so can anyone give an answer on whether I`ll need a new set of spokes (assuming old ones are OK)

OR if I do what lengths are required for a 717 rim on the front ?

thanks for help with this :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all the measurements can be found on the Web. Hope have the hub dims on their calc. and Mavic give the ERDs of the rims.

if the ERDs are the same or very close you could be OK but is does depend on the old spokes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The X517 became the XC717, so if you use an XC717 with a braking surface it's essentially the same rim. If you're going for a disk hub I think the ERD is marginally larger, but you may well still get away with it.
  • nicklouse
    Effective rim diameter (ERD)

517 540.5 mm
    717 541mm

an easy spoke calc with hub and rim info
    http://lenni.info/edd/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Thanks all for info, as far then as I can tell I can use same spokes as long as they are OK :)
    just a fraction mm different from lenni
  • nicklouse
    presuming the originals are correct length then yes tape the new rim to the wheel and swap the spokes over hole for hole.