I learned the hard way about braking on corners :(

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
So I went out to my local trail for a quick run and I was thinking, screw this I'm gonna race down this trail. So I set off and I was heading down really fast and I felt uncomfortable going this fast and not braking, before I was able to change my mind I'm straight into the corner trying to turn at high speeds. So I pumped the brakes once and my back wheel began to kick out (this was on gravel!) then I released and pumped again, it did the same thing as last time, I then stopped braking and waited until I was out the corner to brake. I got out the corner but because I didn't know this trail very well I didn't realise there was turn straight after that so I was heading through this turn at high speed. I then came to the drop off where I was so shaken by what just happened that I landed back wheel first and almost lost control. I continued down the trail to the end where I stopped and just thought wow that could have been bad!

So yeah that was my first real hairy moment on a trail haha, I now know that speed isn't everything!

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Your front brake is your friend in these situations - or just take it slightly easier until you know the trail.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Er, if you're in a corner, don't pump your brake, just trail it gently. You can actually scrub off a lot of speed whilst braking in corners, but generally speaking, using the brakes (without locking) will cause the bike to try and stand up and therefore understeer.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I find it really difficult still to judge how much speed i need to shed with the brakes before i enter some corners, mainly big berms. So i do sometimes end up dragging the brakes mid corner, it isn't the end of the world but it isn't great technique sadly, so i'm trying to get rid of that bad habit.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Once again, I feel compelled to use this ;-)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqAsSfFVi5St_wyfRVCrGXJTvnRrUGvBzyDaXt0iBAHSBcNlyjxB2zlajZ
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    njee20 wrote:

harsh but fair!
  • Understandable on a trail you don't know tbh..
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    njee20 wrote:

bonzayarncobber.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In corners trail the back brake, if it starts a slide, just hold it and ease the brake SLIGHTLY, you can shed a lot of speed that way, grabbing either brake will put you down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    njee20 wrote:

Thanks for that valuable input. Your post was less informative and interesting than mine was.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:

Thanks for that valuable input. Your post was less informative and interesting than mine was.
    That's debatable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools