Ultra torque mystery?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Why would a UT bearing, non drive side be very stiff when fitted but perfect when removed from the spindle? I have refitted the bearing and it turns freely. Could the bearing have somehow been fitted wrong? What mistakes can be made when fitting a UT bearing?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the BB shell having not being faced. or the BB width out of tollerance.

But in both cases i would expect it to show on both bearings.

or are you talking prior to assembling on the bike?. so bearing pushed onto the arm and stub axel?
    such as like here?
    cpultra_912w.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,251
    Maybe it was fitted with inappropriate tools, hence not sitting properly?
    It is not a difficult job, but as any job, it needs the correct tools. I have fitted a few with the Park Tool setup and never had problems
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    nicklouse wrote:
    the BB shell having not being faced. or the BB width out of tollerance.

But in both cases i would expect it to show on both bearings.

or are you talking prior to assembling on the bike?. so bearing pushed onto the arm and stub axel?
    such as like here?
    cpultra_912w.jpg

Yes. Its a friends bike and after I removed the cranks the non drive side bearing was very hard to turn with my fingers. I removed the bearing and it was fine. I put it back on again and it is fine. I used the Park Tool. Could it have been on the wrong way round with the red face pointing in? Its reassembled now and spinning fine.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well if it's fine now there is not problem then. I prefer using the Cyclus Campag tools they do the job so well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.