Factory wheels - reuse hubs?

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited July 2012 in Workshop
I have some RS80's, crashed the other day and now the front is not true and won't true. I often hear it said that if you mess up factory built wheels then you can only replace the whole thing, but can you take the hubs to a wheel builder and use those in a new hand built, lightweight wheel? Is that worth doing? Or would it be better to get new, perhaps better hubs too?

My plan is to eventually get a wheel builder to make me up some low spoke count, lightweight wheels as I understand that it will then be easier to replace spokes or the rim if I need to. Have I got that right?

I'm not heavy (63.5 kgs) and like to train on the lightest weight wheels I can, I realise it may not be the most cost effective over time but I'd like to work out the best way to go, decent factory wheels that run the risk of perhaps needing replacing every now and again if I crash versus, probably more expensive handbuilts where rims and spokes can be more easily replaced but might be more expensive to start with. Of course it will depend on how much i might crash but Cheers for any advice!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    I think your hubs are for straight pull spokes... the availability of those is very limited and I don't think anyone will volunteer to rebuild yiour wheel, unless the original spares are available.
    If I am wrong and it is for J spokes instead, then it's a straightforward job
    left the forum March 2023
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Tried to PM you but they're stuck in my outbox. Can you PM me an email address instead?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If messages are stuck in your Outbox it means you have sent them but the recipient has not picked them up yet.

Ref the RS80s, yes they are straight pull spokes. Have you tried contacting the original seller to see if they can get them rebuilt by Shimano via Maddison?
  • ugo.santalucia
    It is very annoying, as all spoke manufacturer make straight pull spokes, but somehow they remain hidden to the general public
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Sapim striaght pull are available by special order though for shops. Many different types though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sapim striaght pull are available by special order though for shops. Many different types though.

Assuming one swaps to a rim with different ERD in the absence of the original, how do you measure the correct spoke length if not by trial and error? Is there any calculator for straight pull and which flange parameters need to be plotted in?
    Questions, questions... :shock: