Newbie with budget of £500

SuperOwl86
SuperOwl86 Posts: 23
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys I have been looking at getting a new bike as way to get fit and something to enjoy.

I currently have a £80 cheap bike that I purchased in 2005 which is a bit pants. I would be looking to do canal paths and off road paths. My budget is £500.

I have seen the specialized hardrock sport disc 2012 £500 which I could get for £450 by trading in the old bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030674

Also come across the 2013 version

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec040961

Looking for advice really also what is the difference between the two bikes I have linked to.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both are not the best for the money, have really awful forks that kill the ride. For £500 nothing beats this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

Fantastic fork for the money with damping, and quality parts make it stand out.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    +1 Rockrider all the way at this price.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • SuperOwl86
    If I was to go for the Decathlon bike would it not be hard to find since they have no for sale on the site?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I believe you need to go to a Decathlon store.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • SuperOwl86
    Ok cheers might pop into Decathlon and have a look later, shame its not from evans the £50 trade in for my old worthless bike would have been handy.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You'd need to spend at least 700 in Evans for a spec close to that. So don't worry
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    SuperOwl86 wrote:
    If I was to go for the Decathlon bike would it not be hard to find since they have no for sale on the site?

Can you not order online? I can and get stuff delivered. I see a few people saying this but maybe it's just me that gets that option?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • SuperOwl86
    I was getting no option to purchase online, One thing i have been told is I might struggle with the 8.1 due to the pedals.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why would you be struggling? If you don't like/want/feel need for SPDs, then fit some flat, they'll prob to a strraight swap gratis.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You can change the pedals.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • SuperOwl86
    I dont really want to be paying £500 out for the bike then have to spend more straight away.
  • SuperOwl86 wrote:
    I dont really want to be paying £500 out for the bike then have to spend more straight away.

I am sure they will swap for you. They allow online parts orders but not bikes. If you have a store near go in, try the bike and then ask about pedals. They will fall over themselves to help you i am sure.

Oh and believe me, the spending will continue!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    SuperOwl86 wrote:
    Most bikes come with cheapo plastic pedals so you can ride them straight away. Not many come with decent pedals that you will want to use. I spent £2k on a bike and had to pedals for it straight away.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    SuperOwl86 wrote:

Incorrect, that's exactly what you'll want to do even if you don't need to.