Who should light the Olympic Flame?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,939
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Well, who would you give the honour of lighting the flame and why?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18983272

Personally I think I'd go for Bannister.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• mb5
    mb5 Posts: 19
    Bannister would be fitting, but i don't think he is recognisable enough (his face today, not his name).

Steve Redgrave, or dare i say it Beckham are more what i expect.
  • Redgrave. No one else will ever come close. Well, Bradley *might* but that's some way off yet....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Me.

Redgrave's the obvious choice. Would be happy with Pinsent too.

Would be disappointed if it was a footballer. S'not very olympic is it? He can open the World cup.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    It need not be one person. In Vancouver four people (in fact three, due to a malfunction) were supposed to light the cauldron, each via a mechanically lowered arm.

For gold medals, Redgrave has 5, Pinsent has 4 (but is an IOC member) as does Hoy, and Ainsle and Wiggins (who will be in bed) have 3. In comparison, the 2 of Coe, Holmes and Thompson look a bit meagre. Hell, Adlington has 2, from a much harder starting point of less focussed training and development, and who has mentioned her? Of the three track and field, Coe arguably has the best record outside the Olympics, but I can't see him doing it.

Bannister's achievement outside the Olympics stands tall (and is quite simply one of the greatest athletic achievements ever), but you could then argue for Geoff Hurst, Ranulph Fiennes or Martin Johnson.

So I will say one person: it has to be Redgrave.

Three: Regdrave, Hoy, Ainsle.

Five: those three plus wildcards, such as Mary Peters.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited July 2012
    Everyone knows that Athletics (track and field) are synonymous with the Olympics.

Daley Thompson.

End of.

(My Dad, a very competitive high jumper in his own right, once competed alongside Daley Thompson. Both won joint silver and they only had one trophy so gave it to both of them. Daley looked at it and said 'here you can have this' as though to say its just one trophy I've got more to come. My Dad was so happy to go home with anything).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Redgrave. I don't see how there is even a debate tbh
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Where can I get some stain repellent?

Wiggo (who will be in Bed) and Sir Steve both have 6 Olympic medals - I don't think any Brit has more than that.

Sir Steve has 5 gold's from 5 Different Olympics in what is a proper sport; where there is proper physical exertion. I don't think it can be anyone else.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Deciding who should light the torch based on the number of Olympic medals they've won is a short sighted IMO.

(Track and Field) Athletes have what? Two, three Olympics (three- at a push and even then I had to go to Carl Lewis, arguably the greatest atrack and field technician that ever lived, to find a guy who competed and won medals at 4 Olympic track and field events) where they are realistically competitive.

The physical curve (growth, peak, decline) is steep a one so no one really expects a track and field athlete (especially sports that require fast twitch muscles) to be competitive (competing for medals) for more than an 8 year period, 12 would be unheard of and that would be three Olympics.

So I think that judging the person who should light the torch on the number of Olympic medals they've won is terribly flawed.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Redgrave is basically Mr Olympics in Britain, and rightly so.

5 golds, one in each consecutive Olympics, in a particularly competitive and physically demanding sport, is just beyond ridiculously good.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd go Redgrave as he's the Greatest Living Olympian apparently, acc to all newspapers over the last few years.

Isn't this like arguing who's got the best bike? Just give it to someone and be done with it; it's not that important beyond the symbolism of it all. I want the real sport to start in earnest, which excludes the women's football.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    fatima whitbread

Fatima-Whitbread-Olympians-Turned-Reality-Stars-03-1024x682.jpg

you know a bit of eye candy for all the dads watching
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CiB wrote:
    I'd go Redgrave as he's the Greatest Living Olympian apparently, acc to all newspapers over the last few years.

Isn't this like arguing who's got the best bike? Just give it to someone and be done with it; it's not that important beyond the symbolism of it all. I want the real sport to start in earnest, which excludes the women's football.

And men's football! As someone rightly said, if the olympics isnt the panicle of your sport then it shouldn't be in the olympics (Golf in 2016 anyone?).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • PBo
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Deciding who should light the torch based on the number of Olympic medals they've won is a short sighted IMO.

(Track and Field) Athletes have what? Two, three Olympics (three- at a push and even then I had to go to Carl Lewis, arguably the greatest atrack and field technician that ever lived, to find a guy who competed and won medals at 4 Olympic track and field events) where they are realistically competitive.

The physical curve (growth, peak, decline) is steep a one so no one really expects a track and field athlete (especially sports that require fast twitch muscles) to be dominant for more than an 8 year period, 12 would be unheard of and that would be three Olympics.

So I think that judging the person who should light the torch on the number of Olympic medals they've won is terribly flawed.
    2012, 2016, 2020, 2024.

12 years, 4 Olympics! (I understand your point, just being pedantic) :P

I think that Redgrave still wins. 6 medals over 5 Olympics is unlikely to be achieved ever again. Serious, hard sport too. I agree It's not purely the numbers of medals. If we had a really good swimmer they could win 6 in one go. (however, I think medal inflation devalues swimming or gymnastics - but that's a different debate). I think sir Steve outdoes wiggo on that too - wiggo has "doubled up" with the individual/team pursuit medals. Not that I''m meaning to diss anyone's medal efforts-it's just that we are trying to somehow compare apples and oranges....
  • PBo
    rubertoe wrote:
    CiB wrote:

And men's football! As someone rightly said, if the olympics isnt the panicle of your sport then it shouldn't be in the olympics (Golf in 2016 anyone?).

The panicle? Is that when everyone plays your sport in a wild and unstructured way, afraid that they will die if they lose?

Don't start me on tennis btw...
  • Phil "the power" Taylor. A consummate athlete.
  • PBo
    Phil "the power" Taylor. A consummate athlete.

I thought he came across as a lovely bloke on SPOTY the other year...
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Kerry Katona
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Everyone knows that Athletics (track and field) are synonymous with the Olympics.

Daley Thompson.

End of.

(My Dad, a very competitive high jumper in his own right, once competed alongside Daley Thompson. Both won joint silver and they only had one trophy so gave it to both of them. Daley looked at it and said 'here you can have this' as though to say its just one trophy I've got more to come. My Dad was so happy to go home with anything).

+1 for Daley.

Although, in keeping with the 2012 ethic, it will be the CEO of McDonalds.....
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Well that just made my year!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/