Sizing Advice Please..... Colnago CLX 3.0

Blacktemplar
Blacktemplar Posts: 713
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Dear Hive Mind,

I am considering treating myself to a Colnago CLX 3.0 for being a good boy and staying off the beer, but have read that their frame sizing is a bit... well... odd.

I'm a smidgen over 5'9" with a slightly longer than average reach for a short-ars. My current steed is a CAAD9 in a 54 which I have to confess feels slightly large, though I am reasonably flexible for an old git and don't mind the reach & geometry.

I looked at Colnago's frame sizing and I think a 48 or a 50 might suit, but I wondered if anyone out there has a CLX 3.0 and could offer any sizing advice.

Ta muchly.

PS any thoughts on mechanical vs electrical Ultegra?
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    1) what's your current BB to saddle top measurement in cms?
    2) go mechanical (good enuf for Cancellara) and get some really nice wheels. Like some 303 or 404 Firecrests...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    1) 70cm
    2) my thoughts precisely...... :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    From your inseam I would agree with you that the 50s or 48s (if they make that size) would work for you. If between 2 sizes I'd always recommend to get the smaller size if you're quite a lively rider. If you're not, and want something more stable, get the larger size. Smaller frames have tighter wheel bases, are lighter, easier to pack in a car or bike box when travelling, but require more spacers and longer stems so careful that you don't end up with 3cms of spacers or a 14cm stem.

All you have to do now is to find 2 bikes to ride.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have my saddle at 71.5cm so I have my Colnago's in 50s, check your top tube measurements though.
  • I have just test ridden a 2013 CLX 3.0. I am 175 cms tall with a 30 inside leg. The size 54 was too big despite being on the cusp of a 54/57 on the colnago sizing chart. Evans are now getting me a 52 to try next week. One of the problems was the 120mm deda stem which was overly long for the bike. Wiggle have a chart for these that seems more accurate than Colnago!!

I tell you what though, it rode really solid and looked fantastic in the White/italia colour scheme :-)