Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Trek Remedy, Chain Guides and ISCG 03

MeatfoxMeatfox Posts: 155
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So, after having the joy of pulling the bike apart to fit ISCG Blackspire Stinger, it's transpires that 2011 Remedy 7 is ISCG03...

The ISCG fits regarding mounting it onto the frame, but there was not enough space to turn the cranks without the mounting bolts bashing together.
Spacers fixed the problem, HOWEVER, when fitting the non-drive side, this seized the whole thing up and wouldn't turn.
Having spoken to LBS, they reckon it'll be because the spacers are putting pressure on the bearings when tightened. Therefore won't turn.

Trek replied saying the 2011 Remedy 7 is ISCG 03...

Anyway tricks to fitting the ISCG i already have?

If not, will the BB version of the Stinger fit?

Any other ISCG 03 chain guides worth looking at? - I don't want to spend a fortune but I can't really see they are too widely available (mostly ISCG and ISCG 05)

Cheers all

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    so what cranks?
    how many rings are you running?
    what BB width?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MeatfoxMeatfox Posts: 155
    gxp cranks
    2 rings (currently 22 and 36)
    havent a clue on the BB width
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    measure it or have a google. or what was the spacer config before you started?

    but I feel you will be running one ring or getting new cranks.
    or may be changing the bolts and what other bits you have used.

    pics are good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mmmiddymmmiddy Posts: 9
    I have a Blackspire stinger fitted to my 2010 Remedy. Took a bit of trial and error with spacers and washers on mounting bolts and the bottom bracket, but it works a treat.

    You are placing the bottom bracket spacers between the cup and the frame aren't you? and not between the BB and the crankarm?
  • MeatfoxMeatfox Posts: 155
    mmmiddy wrote:
    I have a Blackspire stinger fitted to my 2010 Remedy. Took a bit of trial and error with spacers and washers on mounting bolts and the bottom bracket, but it works a treat.

    You are placing the bottom bracket spacers between the cup and the frame aren't you? and not between the BB and the crankarm?


    Cool. so what mount is your stinger/frame?
  • mmmiddymmmiddy Posts: 9
    Same as yours. It's a 2010 Remedy 7, so uses ISCG03 or ISCG Old as it's sometimes known.

    Took me 4 or 5 goes to get it right, and everything lined up, bit of a ball ache, but got there in the end.

    First thing to do is remove the drive side bottom bracket and put an extra spacer behind. This will move the crank and chainrings away from the guide, and stop the granny ring mounting bolts catching.
  • MeatfoxMeatfox Posts: 155
    mmmiddy wrote:
    Same as yours. It's a 2010 Remedy 7, so uses ISCG03 or ISCG Old as it's sometimes known.

    Took me 4 or 5 goes to get it right, and everything lined up, bit of a ball ache, but got there in the end.

    First thing to do is remove the drive side bottom bracket and put an extra spacer behind. This will move the crank and chainrings away from the guide, and stop the granny ring mounting bolts catching.

    Yeh, ive done that. i can get it clear and then when i tighten, the whole chainset seizes up. as if something is compressing the bearings so not letting it turn
  • mmmiddymmmiddy Posts: 9
    Are you sure it's not the guide mounting bolts and the granny ring bolts catching?
    The crank arms connect with the bottom bracket the same as before, so there shouldn't be any issues. Unless the bottom bracket has seized up?
  • MeatfoxMeatfox Posts: 155
    mmmiddy wrote:
    Are you sure it's not the guide mounting bolts and the granny ring bolts catching?
    The crank arms connect with the bottom bracket the same as before, so there shouldn't be any issues. Unless the bottom bracket has seized up?

    without the spacers, there is catching. it still spins, but knocks every revolution.
    when i get the spacers right, there is clearance and no knocking/catching. then i tighten her up and it doesnt turn at all.
    surely im doing something wrong?!!
    it doesnt seem right that the same mount would fit on a 2010 and not a 2011...
Sign In or Register to comment.