New bike - bent chainring

elpatcho
elpatcho Posts: 12
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

I bought a Felt Z85 about a 2 weeks ago and after 4 rides I noticed a mettalic noise on the front crank. On further inspection, I noticed that the top chainring touched on the front derailleur and that it had warped. I have no idea how this happened as i don't remember knocking it.

I took it to my LBS who said the crank (FSA Vero Compact) is not very good and its worth replacing with a shimano 105 version. They said its much better and sturdier particularly for someone of my height (6ft 4).

I just wanted some advice whether its worth replace the chainring or its worth the upgrade to shimano 105 crank and BB? Should the chainring be so flimsy?

BTW - I could send the whole bike back but i got it mail order and i think they would reject anyway as i must of done something.....but i'm a bit of a new comer so i probably didn't notice.

Thanks for the advice....

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    IME it would take something very noticeable for you to have bent the chainset (they are not made of cheese so a gentle brush with a rotating shoe ain't going to do it).

I would phone the original seller and state your case and see what they say. Most shops only do a cursory check over and, if you hit the right note in your conversation, will settle for shipping a replacement out to you if you offer to foot the bill getting the LBS to fit it (if you don't want to). At least you would then get the option to flog the replacement on fleabay to offset any upgrade...if you want to go that way.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Easiest thing would be to replace just the bent chainring. Needn't be an FSA one; just make sure it's the correct BCD (bolt circle diameter) for your chainset / cranks.

Your LBS are stretching things a bit in suggesting a completely new chainset after 4 rides. Are they implying you've bent the thing because of your awesome power??
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    I took it to my LBS who said the crank (FSA Vero Compact) is not very good and its worth replacing with a shimano 105 version. They said its much better and sturdier particularly for someone of my height (6ft 4).

If they're in the UK they must sell items that are 'fit for purpose'. It would perhaps be useful ask if they feel the cranks were fit for purpose when they sold you them. They seems to be saying the cranks are unsuitable.

Your bike shoufd still be running like new after 4 rides, unlesss you've crashed it, or spannered it yourself.

edit: just re-re-read your post. I'd send it back, but take decent photos / videos of the chainring that show there is no damage (assuming there isn't).

Another option would be to ask a friendly LBS regarding the likelyhood of you knackering it yourself, then either send it back, or get LBS to sort it. Did the lbs know the bike was 4 weeks old?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Nah - new chainring as above if you get nowhere with a return. Nothing at all wrong with your crankset of you are a newbie to all this: as soon as you are too good for it then you'll be buying Dura Ace or Red anyway.