Front wheel bearings

clickrumble
clickrumble Posts: 304
edited July 2012 in Workshop
I've got Mavic CX 22 wheels on my bike. Recently the front wheel has developed a sort of graunchy rumbling feeling. I stripped down the bearings, regreased them, put them back together. However this didn't improve the situation much. When I stripped them down I checked the bearing cup and it seemed to be scored. I haven't done many miles on the wheels so I don't know how this has happened. Anyway, my question is, is it possible to buy and fit replacement cups?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    No. New hub I'm afriad. To avoid this by a decent hub like shimano Ultegra if sticking with cup and cone and when you service use a good grease and grade 25 or grade stainless balls. Some have had sucess with pressing in new hub shells but you will have to find a donor hub first.

Or replace with a cartridge bearing hub, plenty to choose from (Novatec, Miche, hope) but you or somneone will have to build the wheel. A customer today came in with similar wheels, no brand cup and cone hub with CXP 22 rims the build I am doing for him saves about 570g, more with tyres. Weight is not everything though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What is the hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown