Chain installation on FS

Huck Finn
Huck Finn Posts: 157
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Building my first full sus and have a question.

When installing chain, do i do it the same as on my previous hardtails? Chain around largest sprockets and add two links, or do i need to take rear sus into consideration. I'm assuming that, at full stroke the chain will be stretched to it's furthest, so will i need to add more links.

Searching google has come up with very conflicting advice. Cheers in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As it will say in the instructions.

Remove the shock and work the suspension through its travel to make sure you don't need to add some links to cover chain grow.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    biggest-biggest as usual, but I would put the full chain on first and as nick said, work the suspension through it's travel (empty the shock of air or remove the spring) to give you an idea of how many extra links you need to use to allow for chain growth.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just to slightly complicate things, it's almost a dead cert that there will be chain growth when the suspension compresses, but it's not guaranteed that full-travel will result in the longest chain length.
    Let the air out of your shock, or take off the coil spring, and cycle through the suspension travel, you should be able to see if it grows then shrinks again. (it is rare - but can happen depending on frame design)
  • Huck Finn
    Huck Finn Posts: 157
    cheers all. i'll remove air and see what happens.