HELP - Avid Elixir CR Bleed Problems? Possible Leak

jimbo.jrt
jimbo.jrt Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I've got a pair of Avid Elixir CR brakes and I'm havin a real tough time with them.

I'm (usually) pretty good at bike maintenance but this time I'm stumped.

The rear brake feels very spongey at the lever and it will pull right to the bar. It doesn't seem to get a good grip on the disc at the calliper end and if I try hard, I can rotate the rear wheel with the lever fully pressed in so I'm npot getting the power I need out of them.

Now I have bled and rebled the the back brake too many times. I first bleed the hose with the lever out, pushing fluid from the calliper end and all OK. I then bleed the calliper with the lever strapped to the bar, again, seem to get all the bubbles out and all seems OK. Then I slowly release the lever whilst pushing the calliper syringe as instructed. Then take off the calliper syringe and close it up.

Now, when I come to bleed at the lever end, it seems to want to draw and endless amount of bubbles up when I give it negative pressure. I can also hear a squeak near the lever pivot when I do this.

So, I'm pretty sure the lever is the problem and I'm pretty sure there's a leak at the lever end with the squeak of air going into the system. I also noticed that when I went to put the bleed port screw back in at the calliper end before I bled the lever, the fluid kept dripping out of the port. Correct me if I'm wrong but that surely means there's a leak in the system somewhere?

I think my next move is to get a new lever kit. I took the lever apart using the avid instructions and had a look at it all but it looks fine to me. I am assuming that one of the seals has gone.

Has anybody else had this problem or knows what's going on?? I'd like to think I know what I'm doing with bikes usually but this one has me frustrated. Help Please!!!

Thanks, JT

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Not too clued up on brake bleeding but this may help

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesd ... -2010.html
  • jimbo.jrt
    Thanks Dude but I've followed that video word for word about 3 times!!

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks, JT :-)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Get some non-avid brakes.
    I have seriously run out of patience with them.
  • jimbo.jrt
    Yeah, I'm getting that way tbh, was looking at some others but I'm trying to get back on the road for 20 quid rather than 120.

What are the best options out there for about 100 to 150?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    XT M785 from Rose Bikes.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I had the Avid CRs and I got to the point of wanting to attack them with a 4 pound hammer. They are either good or bad there is no inbetween. Piece of crap that Avid should have been ashamed of. Got the XT 785s now all good so far.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Just a couple of things that i thought i would mention, I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs but just need to make sure a few things are happening:

1- Make sure the reach adjust is turned out, as it is impossible to bleed a brake when it is all the way in.
    2 - When attaching the syringe hose to the lever, use a pair of pliers to tighten the brass adaptor into the bleed port so that it is very tight. To me it sounds like either a seal has gone in the lever, the brass adaptor is not being tightened enough or you are pulling air past the plunger seal of the syringe (possibly a new syringe needed?)
    3 - Try pulling the hose out of the lever and checking the 'olive' and and rubber seals that are on the end of it. A tiny dent or break in a rubber O ring seal can cause that small bit of air to get inside the lever and cause problems like yours.

Try those if you have not already. If you have done then it does sound like a faulty lever and will most likley have to get it replaced sorry dude!.
  • jimbo.jrt
    Cheers pal.

I've shortened the hose and installed a new olive to fit the hose into the lever. When I was bleeding the lever, the bubbles where coming through from the bottom of the syringe, not the top so I don't think its the syringe seals. I could see the bubbles coming right from the bottom of the tube up into the syringe so it could be the connection of the syringe to the caliper so I'll check that.

Lever is at the recommended 75-85mm from the centre of the bar.

I think I'll install a new seal kit and if I've still got the same issues, I'll be back on here for sure.

Defs no egg sucking, need all the help I can get!

Thanks, JT
  • Hayes hfx9 are immence. Had mine 8 years now. Had to bleed them twice other than new pads and the occasionl rotor change not had a single problem with them. Easy to bleed too. If you end up getting different breaks strongly recommend them matey.
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5